Anybody have a rifle malfunction that made them say what!

Only malfunction to date is my Win Model 70 Classic Stainless that I rechambered from 375H&H to 375 Weatherby. Removed the trigger assembly while reaming the chamber, everything went back together as it should, dry firing showed zero problems.
A week or so later I wanted some fireformed brass and headed out to shoot a fox or two and rabbits I'd I saw any.
Found a fox pretty quick and it was trotting along, so I swung and fired and the fox spun a full 360 and sat down gnawing at it's hind quarters. I rack the bolt and the cocking piece rides over the sear and it won't cock no matter what I do.
Anyway, the sear dropped into it's recess and would not budge until I poked it with a screwdriver. Still have no idea why it failed.

Cheers.

One of the failure modes of the Remington 700 and clones that can be a brain teaser is the failure of the pin that connects the firing pin(#16) to the cocking piece(#18). Note: this is the most likely failure mode caused by excessive dry firing. Under typical circumstances the failure of this part is obvious and easily determined. I have had a couple of instances where the pin is broken, but in such a way that the rifle cocks and fires "intermittently", with partial pinning due to angular breaks in the retaining pin which hold but cause only partial retention and supported by the sleeve(#1). This may not be evident by viewing since the pin appears to be in place unless thoroughly checked. Also, this failure mode has caused damage to a Jewel trigger, bending the cocking bar on the Jewel. Interestingly, the initial reaction to this failure mode is to wrongly blame the trigger. I make it a point to check this pin regularly for condition and wear. A picture is worth a thousand words(diagram, and new/broken pin)
460879E4-9758-4AFC-AABB-1AC4F4D06A64.jpeg
1D24A9E6-EB5C-4BDF-A5FD-8EB01B15B37D.jpeg

Great reminder to those reading this as I didn't mention the center screw at all in my post. As you say, it gets nearly no torque at all (perhaps 5 in/lbs, at most.) But - just to be absolutely clear here - it wasn't the center screw involved in any of this. The lack of bedding compound in the tang area of the aftermarket stock (despite the front of the action being glass bedded) allowed the tang portion of the rifle to be pulled down by the REAR action screw, flexing the action enough to make sear engagement tenuous to non-existent.

It wasn't a 'fault' of the rifle. Someone just tried to tinker with things using an aftermarket stock, but only did the job half-way, leading to a safety issue. I'm a big fan of the Ruger 77, with a soft spot for the 'old' tang safety models. That's where the safety SHOULD be in a hunting rifle (or shotgun) - right there, under thumb, on the tang. Browning A-bolts and X-bolts get it right, as do the Savage/Mossberg guns. You can take off the safety in near total silence with one digit (the thumb) and do so quickly, without breaking the grip of your trigger hand. Perfect!

Having said that, I have many different brands of rifles and like them, too. I just think a tang safety is a beautiful thing.

Hello Frog4aday, My safe is pretty much Ruger 77 tang safety rifles. I like to tinker with them to get them shooting better. From what you have described I am curious if the rifle was glass bedded improperly. It almost sounds like the rifle was glass bedded tightening the screw of the front recoil lug first and then the rear screw last (if at all), thus putting a lot of tension on the action. Another words the muzzle of the rifle was down tight against the forend of the stock while the glass was curing. When I glass bed the Ruger, I leave about 1/8th of an inch of factory wood between the recoil-lug-inlet and the magazine well inlet so that there's just a small amount of factory wood to support the stock both front and back, when I set the stock. I use an Irwin clamp in the middle of the action with enough tension on the clamp to hold the stock down while the glass is curing. I usually will clearance the wood by about 1/8-3/16 deep for about 4 inches in front of the recoil lug and then by about 1/16th down the rest of the barrel channel. I put a layer of plumber's tape (Brownells) down the entire length of the barrel starting from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug so that when the glass cures there's a neat .010 thousandths of an inch clearance down the entire length of the starting from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug; essentially floating the barrel from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug.

I have 1000 rds of .223 that will shoot in my T/C Contender but lock up my Savage Bolt action rifle. All cases are LC 94..........Military brass is the only thing I found. Pulled some down and charge is right on with Varget. Reduce load by 4 grains and they shoot fine in my rifle.

About 9 years ago I had my son at the range had put a new scope on his Remington 270. I had made some different loads up for it and wanted to check them for accuracy with him shooting it. Well you know the story with the remingtons, he was sitting at the bench put a round in, closed the bolt bam gun goes off. I had heard of the problem it just becoming public after certain accidents. He was pointing down range, first thing I asked did you have your finger on the trigger, he said no my hand was closing the bolt, I knew that because I was spotting right next to him and was watching. I told him to get up and let me sit there and try it. The first shot went fine, I loaded another round kind of slammed the bolt shut boom. Needless to say I took the scope off told him he was never to shoot that gun again, just not worth it. Gave him my 308 browning. And surprised him the next Christmas with another 270, a different brand his only question was can I keep the 308 naturally I said yes gave me a chance to get another gun

Many years ago I went out hunting elk with my Remington seven MM mag. When my son and I got out of the truck I loaded a round. The gun fired. Fortunately I had the gun pointed straight up. I thought maybe I had had a finger near the trigger and hadn't noticed it due to having on very heavy gloves. I jacked in another round very hesitantly and it fired again.Positive there was no finger near the trigger. There were quite a few other campers around us and it was very early in the morning, still dark. Lights went on all around us and I am sure people were wondering what in the heck was going on. Well, we went for a nice walk that day and when we got out In a good place to sit and watch I put another round in and same story, boom. I took it to my local gunsmith and he just smiled and went to work and solved the problem. I have never had a problem since as I now know what caused it. Anybody want to take a guess what was happening.?

One of the failure modes of the Remington 700 and clones that can be a brain teaser is the failure of the pin that connects the firing pin(#16) to the cocking piece(#18). Note: this is the most likely failure mode caused by excessive dry firing. <SNIPPED STUFF>
I have several Rem 700's (all short action) and hadn't heard of this potential failure point before, so I really appreciate you posting it. (The pics you posted were awesome, too.) I don't dry fire my rifles, so hopefully that minimizes my risk of a failure.

About 9 years ago I had my son at the range had put a new scope on his Remington 270. I had made some different loads up for it and wanted to check them for accuracy with him shooting it. Well you know the story with the remingtons, he was sitting at the bench put a round in, closed the bolt bam gun goes off. <SNIPPED STUFF>
Thank God your son was okay. You, too. Seems like all manufacturers send out a dud now and then, but one where the gun 'accidentally' discharges in normal use is a serious F-up. I like my Remington 700s, but realize nothing is perfect. Nice that you hooked your son up with not only a new .270 but a .308 as well. Looking to adopt? ;)

<SNIPPED STUFF>Many years ago I went out hunting elk with my Remington seven MM mag. When my son and I got out of the truck I loaded a round. The gun fired. <SNIPPED STUFF> Anybody want to take a guess what was happening.?
Before the "X-Mark Pro" trigger came out, the 'standard' Rem 700 trigger would lead to accidental discharges often enough to prompt many lawsuits. (https://www.kennerlyloutey.com/defective-remington-triggers-fire-still-not-recalled/) But I'm guessing you and your gunsmith discovered something else? Dying to know the answer!

The first mosin nagant I bought.
First time firing it didn't have the recoil I was expecting. I wasn't expecting a hard kick, but it barely kicked at all.
Went to inspect the casing and it blew a hole right through the primer. I thought it was odd because it was store bought ammo, I don't remember the Mfg.
Fired one more to be sure and it blew a hole in that primer as well. So I took it apart and noticed the firing pin was sticking out way too far after it had been fired.
I mean it's an easy fix, and I fixed it myself, but that rifle was beaten up so bad it had definitely been used a fair amount, I just wonder how long the firing pin had been like that, blowing primers isn't exactly safe, and it's not good for the rifle either. I still have it sittinf in my safe but I never really shoot it anymore.

The first mosin nagant I bought. First time firing it didn't have the recoil I was expecting. I wasn't expecting a hard kick, but it barely kicked at all. Went to inspect the casing and it blew a hole right through the primer. <SNIPPED STUFF>
Buddy bought a Mosin-Nagant and let me take it apart to see how it worked and I was very surprised that they make the firing pin protrusion so easily 'user adjusted'. I can totally see you getting a rifle where someone 'screwed it in' too far. Spooky really. I know people love the things and I do admire their rugged simplicity, but I'll take a K98 or Springfield over that Russian gun any day. Nice you posted this. I bet a lot of people have a Mosin-Nagant sitting around. Good to be 'aware'.

Buddy bought a Mosin-Nagant and let me take it apart to see how it worked and I was very surprised that they make the firing pin protrusion so easily 'user adjusted'. I can totally see you getting a rifle where someone 'screwed it in' too far. Spooky really. I know people love the things and I do admire their rugged simplicity, but I'll take a K98 or Springfield over that Russian gun any day. Nice you posted this. I bet a lot of people have a Mosin-Nagant sitting around. Good to be 'aware'.
Yep, I got mine still in the cosmoline so no American screwed it up, sadly it's a little too easy to screw up, but luckily it's the easiest fix I've ever done :)

Memtb I had a similar thing with a 22-250 reload. Except in my sitation gun went boom too. I did find out what caused my accident though. Some powder I was throwing out several types all mixed together ended up back with my good powder. To this day the first thought through my mind after I sqeezed the trigger was how did I get an idit ring from a 22-250. It took a moment to realize the scope was no longer on the rifle. I am still counting my blessing I was not killed or even hurt.
Idahoshooting I am going to guess one of the trigger pins had backed out. Not all the way just enough to not allow the sear to hold the firing pin back.

WildBillG, Thankfully you weren't seriously injured or killed, you really "dodged a bullet" pun intended. It really does bother you, when you attempt to reconstruct the events in an attempt to explain the event...and can't! Things like that, can age you rapidly! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.