Any comments on this build plan?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by joelpat, Jan 3, 2017.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. joelpat

joelpat Member

Howdy Everybody.

I bought a Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless .300WM about a year ago. The idea was one rifle to serve as elk gun and long range plinker. A fine idea, except that it doesn't really do either of those all that well, as it currently exists. Having learned that lesson, it's going to become a dedicated elk gun, and whatever it does on the range is fun too.

I just built up an older (1983) M70 FWT .270 into a deer gun that I am absolutely in love with. Lightweight, compact, comfortable, and dead nuts accurate. I put a McMillan Hunter stock on it, with their graphite fill and a custom LOP. I stripped it, cleaned it religiously, and cerakoted it graphite black. Rifle Basix trigger. I put an EGW base on it and Warne rings. I gave it a Leupold 4-12x40 that I had laying around after being forced to buy it at midnight in a Walmart in Aberdeen, Washington after drowning a Nikon in the middle of a five day hunt. Its got a rail on it's chin and an Atlas bipod. For me, a perfect deer gun.

I'm tempted to pretty much clone the .270 for my elk gun, but maybe not exactly. I'm thinking the following, any comments are welcome.
    -Rebarrel with a PacNor Sporter in #2 or #3 stainless to try and keep the weight down. I really only want to be able to reach out to 500-600 yards, any more is just too far for me. I'd like to go as short as 22" to save weight and keep it nimble. I'll thread the end for a brake or the option of using a Sig suppressor that I'm going to buy for another gun.
    -JEC customs muzzle brake (?). I'm thinking about a brake to make recoil more comfortable and free me up to shave more weight.
    -McMillan or Manners stock. I'm not really set on a profile. I'm curious about something with a more vertical grip. My typical elk shot is more likely to be prone or sitting with the bipod on a stump, as opposed to deer which are closer range and more off hand.
    -I think I'll leave the MOA trigger as-is. I'm fairly happy with where I have it now (crisp, 3.5lbs) and I don't really see a reason to go swap in a new one.
    -I have an EGW 20MOA base with Badger rings. It's got a Zeiss 5-25x50 on it now.
    -I'll cerakote it, mainly because I want it to look cool.

My typical elk hunt is 5-10 miles in on logging roads, often on mountain bikes, usually in the rain. This will also be the gun if I ever successfully draw a NH moose tag.

Anybody see anything here that they think I'll really regret?

2. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

Cartridge?

3. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

I would go with at least a 24" barrel and something around a #4 contour to help control barrel whip and tame a large cartridge. What are you wanting to chamber it in?

4. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I agree...the heavier the barrel the better. Don't save weight on a rifle, just work out and get stronger to heft it around. I tell everyone that who wants a light rifle.

5. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

LOL I have been a lardass most of my life. I crack up at guys wanting to shave ounces off of a rig.
    Funny if a want to shave 2 ounces off of my load I can just shave my back or take a poop.:)

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Used to think that too, spent three months sheep hunting with a 12lb gun which changed my view a LOT. There is just no need for the weight, I've built 8 pound 338's that will shoot as good at the 14lb one's I've built so I see no reason to weight yourself down if you don't want to.

7. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

The Sendero contour is the biggest barrel for hunting in my opinion. My latest build I went with this contour simply because that is what the factory B&C stock was cut for and I did not want to spend excessive money on the build if I did not have too. If I was starting with a fresh stock, I would probably do a Light Palma or #5 contour. I think for a pack rifle or an everyday hunting rifle a #4 or #5 is about perfect, light enough to hump through the hills and heavy enough to make solid shots with.

8. joelpat

joelpat Member

I'll leave it in 300 Winnie. I don't feel any need to go bigger.

9. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

A 22" lightweight barrel in .300 Win Mag will not be pleasant to shoot and the muzzle will be too thin to thread for a brake. I think you should really consider a 24-26" barrel with a #4 contour if you want a .300 that is light and manageable. If you only want to shoot 500 yards than a .284 or .280 Ackley are both great options that will recoil similar to your .270 but have closer ballistics to the .300 Win Mag.

10. joelpat

joelpat Member

I don't need a featherweight rig, but the difference between a Palma mid weight and a #2 sporter is over 2 lbs. An hour before sunset on an elk hunt I've already covered 15 miles, with five more back to the truck. I don't need any reason not to check that last clear cut, cause I've already got plenty.

So I'm not trying to build an ultralight, but I just need two good MOA shots when I call for them.

11. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

Like I've been saying, get a #4 or #5. You do not have to go to one extreme with a #2 and then go to the other extreme with a Med. Palma. Go in the middle, you won't be disappointed.

12. joelpat

joelpat Member

Thanks for the point on the threads. Hadn't considered that.
    The rifle has a 26" barrel on it now. It's not that I object to the stock barrel weight (well, I do, but I'm a big boy), but I find the length unwieldy. Unfortunately, its fluted, so I can't really have it cut down too much. A 24" overall barrel would be ok, but if I put a brake on it, a 22" tube is about as long as I can go. So it's a 24 without brake or 22 with.

Point taken on the 4/5 option.

13. joelpat

joelpat Member

Super helpful. Thank you.

14. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I use the #4 a lot on 300 Win mags for balanced rifle, depending on stock the recoil is there but manageable, it's kinda the cut of point before I feel there are some compromises, from there you gotta slap it with money to get weight down without compromise.