Feedback on plans for new 6mm build

keclark

Hey all,

I have a general idea of what I want for my next build, but I have a few questions and would appreciate some insight.
I like to shoot, a lot, and my poor 6.5 prc is currently taking all of the abuse. So I want to build something with relatively low recoil, doesn't burn a ton of powder, and gets good barrel life. 6.5 creed obviously checks those boxes, but I think I've got my heart set on something 6mm. 6 creed, 6 dasher, or somewhere in the middle like the 6 GT.
Something on the heavier side is fine because I already have a couple lightweight pack rifles.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Zermatt Origin (changeable bolt face and prefit options is main reason for this, also I'm lefty and my options are limited)
Ag composites Alpine Hunter
M5 DBM
22" #3b style contour in 6 GT
Topped with a Zeiss V4 I have laying around

Am I crazy to chamber that cartridge in that contour/length barrel? Should I step up to 6 creed and not worry about the supposed short barrel life?

Descent Barrel "Life" with the 6 GT or 6 XC as BOTH are, deadly accurate,.. way out there !
Yup another Click or Two on your Scopes "Dial" but, close to, 40 % better,.. barrel Life over, the "Hot rod" 6 creed.
Easily Drives, the Sierra 107 SMK's to, the 2,965 - 3,015 FPS,.. "Range" w/ 24 inch bbl.,.. using,.. LESS Powder !
Your Zeiss V-4, has Plenty of MOA to adjust for, the tiny bit of extra, "Drop"

Last edited:
From what you are wanting to do, I really like the 6GT or 6BR. I don't own either because of all the money invested in my 6.5 Grendels... But if I were to go 6mm I'd be debating between those two.

Any input on the Origin action? Am I leaving anything on the table by not choosing a TL3?
Not owning a Origin, but have spent some time behind a TL3, here's what Zermatt Arms said,
"The Origin will always have a slightly stiffer bolt lift than the TL3 will. That's because the Origin has more firing pin fall AND a steeper extraction cam angle. When re-cocking the bolt, the Origin has to move a farther linear difference at a steeper angle.
Bolt close can be made nearly identical between the two."

If you want more side by side, there's more I can post about it .

Of those 3 I'd pick either the GT or dasher and I'd lean towards the dasher for the increased barrel life since you're looking for low powder consumption and barrel life. It burns about 20% less powder in the same bore diameter than the GT. I'd also consider just a straight 6BR. You could also go with a 223 and burn less powder, have even better barrel life and shoot cheaper bullets and accomplish the same thing.

I wouldn't even consider the 6 creed for high volume. You're burning 10gr+ more powder and on a high volume rifle you're going to get 1200 rounds or so before velocity starts falling off and it starts throwing shots at distance. 6x47L is almost the same way as far as barrel life and is by far the most finicky round I've ever loaded for.

Please do not use the word Dasher and long barrel life in the same sentence. I just cut 9" off a 30" Dasher to get into what looked like Fresh barrel, but the bore dia at that point was still .001 OVER what the bore was when new. 1400 rounds of H4895 were fired up to that point where flyers were in every group. The barrel looked like the inside of a sewer pipe with a tremendous amount of fire cracking. Varget is every bit as bad as H4895 on fire cracking a Dasher barrel...been down that road also. I have two Dashers left, no more of them for me.

Leade growth is much less in the 6 XC with H4350 than the Dasher using either Varget or H4895.

Last edited: