Any comments on this build plan?

I use the #4 a lot on 300 Win mags for balanced rifle, depending on stock the recoil is there but manageable, it's kinda the cut of point before I feel there are some compromises, from there you gotta slap it with money to get weight down without compromise.

Thanks. It's all just theory for me. Real world experience is exactly why I posted the question. Any opinions on length/brake/no brake for a backpack gun?

I know the mountain rifle is traditionally a lighter caliber, but that's the basic direction I'm headed.

Thanks. It's all just theory for me. Real world experience is exactly why I posted the question. Any opinions on length/brake/no brake for a backpack gun?

I know the mountain rifle is traditionally a lighter caliber, but that's the basic direction I'm headed.

If you are wanting to go with a .300 Win Mag I would strongly consider at least a 24" barrel to burn all of the powder and take advantage of the magnum chambering. A .300 in a lighter rifle is not pleasant as a range gun, but in a hunting situation 1 or 2 shots is not going to kill you. I would recommend a brake in most cases with a light rifle, but if you are wanting a handier rifle than a brake will just add an extra 1.5-2" onto the barrel. Again, if you are only going to be shooting 500 yards or so, you really do not need a .300 Win Mag, a mid sized cartridge is more than capable of delivering more than enough energy to kill an elk at that range.

If you are wanting to go with a .300 Win Mag I would strongly consider at least a 24" barrel to burn all of the powder and take advantage of the magnum chambering. A .300 in a lighter rifle is not pleasant as a range gun, but in a hunting situation 1 or 2 shots is not going to kill you. I would recommend a brake in most cases with a light rifle, but if you are wanting a handier rifle than a brake will just add an extra 1.5-2" onto the barrel. Again, if you are only going to be shooting 500 yards or so, you really do not need a .300 Win Mag, a mid sized cartridge is more than capable of delivering more than enough energy to kill an elk at that range.

24 inch barrel minimum with bigngreens recommendation for weight. You can get it to 26 inches with a brake. I personally run brakes on all my rifles from .223 thru .30-06. It doesn't hurt anything (minus your hearing :D ). You can't go wrong with the .300 win mag, but Have you looked at the WSMs as well?

I don't need a featherweight rig, but the difference between a Palma mid weight and a #2 sporter is over 2 lbs. An hour before sunset on an elk hunt I've already covered 15 miles, with five more back to the truck. I don't need any reason not to check that last clear cut, cause I've already got plenty.

So I'm not trying to build an ultralight, but I just need two good MOA shots when I call for them.

My buddies and I used to put in the same mileage on foot but the weight of my rifles (~8-12 lbs hunt ready) and pack (~20-30 lbs) was never my problem.

They're pricey but have you considered carbon wrapped barrels? Carbon Fiber Barrels - Proof Research would be my primary choice followed by https://shop.christensenarms.com/rifle-barrels-c2.aspx

My buddies and I used to put in the same mileage on foot but the weight of my rifles (~8-12 lbs hunt ready) and pack (~20-30 lbs) was never my problem.

[/QUOTE

I don't mind the mileage, and I go with a really light mountainsmith lumbar pack w/ shoulder straps. Between the pack and pockets I find I can carry pretty much anything I really need. My pack stays under 10lbs, including water.

If my truck is at mile 0, and the top of the mountain we go up is at about 2.5, I try to cache a larger pack with game bags, dry clothes, extra food and fuel, etc at about mile 5. If we are on bikes I also have spares on the bike itself. If someone drops an animal we converge and pack it out in the large pack(s) and strapped to the bikes.

On the other hand, the weight of my rifle makes a big difference to me. I have it in my hands, shifting it around so as not to muzzle my buddies as we move, climbing clear-cuts. I'd trade 5+ lbs on my back for 1lb on my rifle - no sweat.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.