Please critique my build plan for .300WSM

Why do I need the extra length? Max OACL is 2.860. Understanding that there are times to go beyond the published max, when am I going to need the extra 3/8"? Honest question.

Need is a relative term but I can give you an example where the extra length could be used. The less bullet you have in the case the more space there is for powder. If you seat a 180 gr TTSX bullet where the base of the bearing surface is even with the neck shoulder junction, your cartridge length is going to be about 3.1 inches. There are many more examples.

If you don't reload that extra length will be wasted. If you reload and want to have a custom chamber, you can get some benefit from the extra length.

A friend owns a 300 WSM, an older Browning A-bolt with the Boss. He asked me to make him a LR load. I had some 230 Berger target hybrids and decided to give them a try.

The longest I can seat a bullet is 2.8". I worked up a load with RL-17. Got great accuracy and velocity from his 22" barrel. Quite amazing actually, 2735 fps! Load for THIS rifle is 61 gr of RL-17, Win brass, Fed 210 primers. Work up carefully.

I must admit the 215 would be a better bullet for this cartridge. I just wanted you to know what you could expect with the 230.

Need is a relative term but I can give you an example where the extra length could be used. The less bullet you have in the case the more space there is for powder. If you seat a 180 gr TTSX bullet where the base of the bearing surface is even with the neck shoulder junction, your cartridge length is going to be about 3.1 inches. There are many more examples.

If you don't reload that extra length will be wasted. If you reload and want to have a custom chamber, you can get some benefit from the extra length.

Thanks. I am just starting in reloading. gathering the last of my gear now. I do prefer to shoot copper, so longer pills are a reality for me. I'll think about what you've said.

A friend owns a 300 WSM, an older Browning A-bolt with the Boss. He asked me to make him a LR load. I had some 230 Berger target hybrids and decided to give them a try.

The longest I can seat a bullet is 2.8". I worked up a load with RL-17. Got great accuracy and velocity from his 22" barrel. Quite amazing actually, 2735 fps! Load for THIS rifle is 61 gr of RL-17, Win brass, Fed 210 primers. Work up carefully.

I must admit the 215 would be a better bullet for this cartridge. I just wanted you to know what you could expect with the 230.

I agree that's impressive, might have to try the 230 on mine too. Cheers!

I am running the 230's from my 300wsm at 2.85" (fed from mag) which is jumping .124" which seems huge. However I get pretty consistent 1/2moa groups from it. I am running h4831 and seeing 2665fps. For a bullet that isn't supposed to work in a wsm I get good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts