antelope gun

bumppo

Want to get my 14 year old an antelope gun and was thinking about 257 Roberts and, recently, 260 Rem. (I don't have experience with either as I'm an old dye-in-the-wool 30-06 guy). What are the thoughts out there?

Either one is good. A lot of guns to choose from 243, 25-06, 7mm08 for a few. My favotire one is 25-06. 30-06 necked down to 25 cal. You already have brass if you reload the 30-06.

Is your son only hunting antelope or will this gun be used for other animals? I would say the 7-08 would be a great start for him.

25-06 for antelope and deer is no problem. It will even do in a pinch with a proper bonded bullet and shot selection (broadside and/or slightly quartering away) on elk at no more than 250 yards.

Last edited:
Either of the 2 you mention would be great. I always stress fit in a youth rifle, after that if you find a deal on one or the other pick that one.

I shot my first deer with a good 'ole 6mm rem. My vote would be for that or 25-06. I still use both!

Ruger m77 mkII target in 25-06 top it with a leupold vx3 LR scope with the varmit hunters reticle
you will never regreat it

Want to get my 14 year old an antelope gun and was thinking about 257 Roberts and, recently, 260 Rem. (I don't have experience with either as I'm an old dye-in-the-wool 30-06 guy). What are the thoughts out there?

I'm a 30-06 guy too. Just a traditionalist I guess. But if you are looking for a GREAT Pronghorn gun that combines low cost (about $600), light weight, excellent accuracy, all weather reliability, easy ammo availability and moderate recoil then take a look at a Tikka T3 Lite in .270.

I just got an antelope at 400 yards with a 100 grain SPBT out of my 243. It is a wonderful varmint gun with 70 to 80 grain bullets. When I was shopping for a 243 I really wanted to get the new 243 wSSM version Like this =

click on the following

Shorter & Sweeter — Browning A-Bolt Rifles in New 223 WSSM & 243 WSSM Cartridges - Browning Article or the Tikka rifle in 243 wssm

But I could not find it in the heavy varmint barrel so I opted for plain Jane 243 remington SPS with a 26 inch heavy barrel. It is to big for a small person to use.

The 243 WSSM is impressive and a good all around. since you are a reloaded just buy a couple hundred nickle cases and have many years of fun

Last edited:
Bumppo: I think between the two (260 Remington & 257 Roberts) I would go with the 260 Remington these days.
I have harvested Antelope (about 80 of them to date) with about every standard caliber from 22-250 Remington on up through 300 Winchester Magnum.
But the 260 Remington is just exactly what the Doctor ordered when it comes to mild recoil, excellent accuracy, superb lethality (on Antelope and Deer!) and impressive ballistic (trajectory) performance.
I have killed Antelope out to just past 500 yards with my Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington using the wonderful Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tip bullets and a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope!
I have used the 257 Roberts on Antelope and it will get the job done but the nod here goes to the 260 Remington.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I am a 25-06 guy. Built one when they were still a wildcat. I have and older Ruger M77 (tang safety) 25-06 with a Leupold 4x14 VX3 that is my #1 deer and antelope gun. Bought it new in 1977 and have shot over 100 animals with it. I handload everything and it shoots sub min of angle groups after literally 1,000's of rounds thru it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.