What gun for 2011 antelope hunt ?

gun)
I'm still undecided on what to buy for Antelope/Deer. Looking real hard at the Ruger M77 MarkII in 25-06 or 6.5 Creed. Any suggestions, pros-cons?
I have a Ruger MKII in a 25-06 and have used it in Wyoming on Antelope. My first year hunting Wyoming I killed a very nice buck at a little over 200 yards using a 117gr hornady SST. Drop that dude right where he stood. I really like that Ruger, I know if I do my part the critter is a gonner.

I have used several calibers from 25-06 to 7mm RUM and have found them all to be very good for pronghorns. Having said that I have three favorites .270 WSM, .257 Weatherby mag.,7mm RUM. Hope this helps Richgun)

I agree with the one that is most accurate, I had Harold Broughton build a 6mm and 280 in 96 that is what me and my nephew used to take a few lopes and yotes.

006.jpg

16.5" bull in 7mm-08, my custom aluminum forearm. i flutted the frame, i did a trigger job, 16x super sniper scope. and no i just finished it and have not shot it yet. but it looks like it will go fast don't it!!! LOL

Assuming you are open to most calibers, I would recommend 25-06, 257 Weatherby, 257 STW. or a wildcat 25 /300 WSM (25 Pronghorn) . All of these are know for long range shooting. Any one of them is adequate for Pronghorn, mulies, and even elk. They shoot very fast bullets with flat tragetory , A 300 yard zero is not that uncommon on the wide open range.

Make a Plan and execute it.

Good Luck in 2011
21 Buck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.