What gun for 2011 antelope hunt ?

I'm taking my 7mag i've been working on all winter and my wife is taking her 270, but if i were looking for a new gun for lopes I think i'd try a 25-06 or 257 weatherby or maybe a 257 Roberts. I think it's that i've never had a 1/4 bore...lol.

Depends on how far you want to shoot one. Inside 800 yards my 257 STW shooting a 100 grain swift .429 bc at 3885 fps is point blank to over 500 yards on deer and antelope. My 264 STW shooting the 130 swift .572 bc at 3575 fps also is excellent. Took one last year at 813 yards with my 338-378. A 185 grain Barnes TTSX .432 bc at 3750 fps is incredible at 800 yards.

If you want to shoot one way out there beyond 800 yards and you have a lapua then you are good. Where I hunted last year the antelope were very spooked and hunters had trouble getting within a half mile of them. They would be on a dead run from a vehicle at a mile away. On opening day out of a camp of over 25 hunters there were three antelope taken and all three guys had big guns that shot a long way. Longest shot was over 1100 yards opening day with a 7mm STW. A guy from Casper made that shot with a 25 pound target rifle. Sometimes having a big gun pays off.

Sniper2, With a long range gun you can shoot one off the porch. But we drove a few minutes down the road. A short range bow will take big mulies off the porch at 10 steps. Closer than that if you throw an apple out. The 240 Gibbs is shooting great with the 107 matchkings. Need to stretch it out on some coyotes. You get out this way and we will do that. I got plenty of guns that need shootin.

I have used a 240 Wby with 115 Berger past 1K twice, a 257 Wby with 130 gr Wildcat RBBTs past 1K and a 7AM with 200 gr Wildcat RBBT.

The chief issue is to judge the wind and range correctly. Ranging antelope is a difficult issue because the land is so flat. Judging wind is even more difficult. Killing them is not difficult if you can hit them.

Sniper2, LTLR doesn't , Mrs LTLR says that is her rifle. Incredible shooter. That rifle will honestly put three shots through the same hole at 100 yrads about every time. A big hole, but the same hole. And she has proved it. Miss Phoebe is a heck of a shot but stays quiet cause she doesn't like to show me up. I guess we both got to stay straight cause both our wives can shoot to dang good.

Last edited:
Cool! Glad you are well you can kill a lope farther than 500yds. those are good guns my friend jeff has one in 7mm benchrest shoots bugholes!!!

Yes I forgot that is Phoebe's rifle, you can claim it when she isn't listening!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.