Antelope Gun Much Obliged

bumppo

Thanks a million fellows--I'll take all of the above as they say. Seriously, all of your responses were excellent and appreciated. I have to tell you that I am more than a tad of a traditionalist(just ask my wife), hence the attraction to the 257 Roberts. When I told an old hunting partner(another traditionalist) that my son wanted to go for antelope, he asked me if I was getting my boy a 243--not as grizzled as the Roberts, but in the same ballpark. The only suggested cartridge that I've actually had experience with is the 270. When I was a teenager, a guy who owed my father money gave the gun to him instead of the dough. It wasn't too bad to shoot, plus there was the Jack O'Connor connection to stoke a boy's enthusiasm, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to spend half a day at the range with it. My brother took it over when I went into the army and has been killing deer and elk at very respectable ranges ever since. The 7mm-08 is an intriguing possibility being a light, short action 7mm and, like the 243, uses the very good 308 parent case and, as pointed out, has potential beyond antelope. The 6mm Remington is obviously a hot number and presumably an excellent crossover for varmints, but that's not my son's cup of tea. The 25-06 kept coming up and, as mentioned, would compliment my 30-06 nicely for handloading. Reportedly, it was the cartridge that stole the thunder from the Roberts. If it was going to be my gun, there would be no contest: the 257 Roberts gets the nod hands down. Like I said, I'm a traditionalist and a sucker for the old classics. But after conferring with my son and going over your responses, we'll probably go with the 260 Remington, providing we can find a good fit. The cartridge, again use the 308 parent case which, with the high BC and SD .264 bullet, produces topnotch
ballistics. Then, of course, there's the 6.5x55 Swede, the 7mm Mauser, etc., etc. Too many choices and too little moolah. Thanks again everybody. This is a terrific forum and it's good to know there are guys like you out there.

Good choice and good luck!

When deciding for my antelope gun it was between the .257 Rob and .243 they were too closely matched. Went .243 for availability/price of ammo/reloading.

Last edited:
Yep, I like your reasoning. I remember, as a kid, reading Warren Page(he was right up there with O'Connor) sure a swell round he helped work out. Handloading, I'm sure, has to be blast(no pun intended). I know a guy
who has done some remarkable things with the improved version and a custom gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.