Another Long Range Varmint round

I love the accuracy of my 204 Ruger in my AR15. It has a Shilen barrel. What I don't like are the feeding problems in the AR platform. You shouldn't have that problem in your bolt gun. I'd change to 20 Tactical for another auto loader build with a slightly faster twist to better handle 40 grain bullets. Mine does well with them and that will help in the barrel wear. You also might see if your barrel is really clean and not fouled.
I did a 20 Practical and love it.

I have a 22BR Norma on a 700 action. The only downside to it was getting it to feed, but not a deal breaker imo... It's a 24" Benchmark 1:14 twist. I shoot 52gr Berger Varmints over H322 and so far it's been one of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired, but I'm only 65rds into this barrel so it hasn't really settled in yet. But it has started to settle in, I'm averaging under 0.5" 5rd groups and that's terrific for me anyway. It's just more consistent than I'm used to maybe?

I love the cartridge, but after building this I find myself wishing I would've went with faster twist. I just want to see what this cartridge does with heavies after shooting it in this rifle. Brass is very easy, just neck down 6BR brass, done.

I'll eventually do a fast twist 22BR when I find a nice blank. Just make it a switch barrel set up so I can run the light bullets fast when I want or send the heavies out there. I would love to see what this little cartridge does pushing an 85.5 Berger or 88ELD. I really like this cartridge, a 22 Dasher is bound to be just as good or moreso.

I've yet to try a 6BR/Dasher, I know I'll fall for it too and there goes even more money, lol... So I'm trying to hold off. But I'm a believer in these little cartridges.

I thought about trying that, back when I was messing with getting this rifle feed. I still may try to do just that as I'm going to restock this barreled action soon.

I think it was Mike Bryant who wrote a good article on how to make the 6BR feed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.