Another Long Range Varmint round

skookum

I have one of those Cabela's specials, a Savage model 10 chambered in .204 Ruger that I have since put in a chasis system that accepts AICs pattern magazines. The rifle is probably the most accurate factory rifle i have even seen or shot, and it saddens me to say that after roughly 2000 rounds and 3 years of varmint shooting I am noticing a steep decline in accuracy. It went from making tiny, .1"-.2" groups to breaking the 1" mark and I believe it is time for a new barrel.

While I enjoyed the 20 cal life, I am the proud owner of an AR that shows great promise in accuracy and will fill that void for inside 400 yards as long as the government doesn't force me to have an unfortunate boating accident.

I am looking in the realm of a faster .223 cal or possibly a 6mm chambering that isn't quite the barrel scorcher as the .22-250 but something still very capable out to 800+ yards. I like the idea of the 22 Nosler in a bolt gun to run heavier bullets but am wondering what everyone else is running for their long range, ground dwelling rodent rifles.

6mm Creedmoor is hard to beat, I still see factory ammo on the shelves for it. The 6mm ARC would be fun in a bolt rifle.

6mm arc. I built one just for predator hunting and I love it. Of course ammo is a little hard to get right now, but that is true of all cartridges.

The ar10 is too heavy for lugging around all day, and I wouldn't hesitate to stuff a yote with mine at 600y if the conditions were right. Shot .5-.9 in every group I shot. That was me with a sand sock for a rear rest, I'll bet it would be under .5 consistently in a sled or vice. That's shooting factory 108gr eldx. Very light recoil, a joy to shoot..

Skookum -

Howdy !

I have used wildcats of my own design ( both .224" cal and 6mm calibre ) for all of my groundhog shooting over the past 4 decades, My rifle has a single shot Wichita WBR1375 action. My current barrel is a 29" Broughton SS 1-8, chambered in my "DEEP 6 " wildcat. Case capacity 51.2gr H2O. Nearly all of my DEEP 6 groundhog kills have been made shooting either Berger 95VLD Sierra 95MK. The majority of these loads have utilized RL-22.

With regards,
357Mag

Without going too far in to the wildcat realm, does anyone have any experience with the 22 Dasher? Looks like there is already 6 Dasher brass and I can drive 80gr bullets well over the 3000fps mark.

Without going too far in to the wildcat realm, does anyone have any experience with the 22 Dasher? Looks like there is already 6 Dasher brass and I can drive 80gr bullets well over the 3000fps mark.
A 6 dasher will run a 80 grain bullet in the 33-3400 fps range. I have a 6 br that runs 70 grainers at 3400 (28" barrel)

Wanting to shoot a 80gr berger 3k would a 22-250 not do that pretty easy and not be too bad of a barrel scorcher? And lapua brass. The br and rba is awesome as well though. My 6br shoots the 105 just under 2900. Not the fastest but will shoot em for a long long time.

I have a 6mm Grendel AR with a 20" barrel that runs 87s at 2920, 95s at 2830, and 105s at 2700 with 27-28 grains of powder at AR Pressures. Would love to see what it would do in a 26" bolt gun. The 6 ARC is very similar with about 1.5 Grains water less capacity. MDT makes 224 Valkyrie mags in AICS short action pattern that allow a coal of 2.55 I believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.