Another Varmint to Hunt??

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
These Nutria are invading more States. I knew some guys that hunted them at night with .22 Shorts in the cannels at night with a boat and spotlight. Just like shooting BIG RATS!!! The Nutria will dig into the cannel banks/dikes and cause them to fail causing $$$$ damage.

These Nutria are invading more States. I knew some guys that hunted them at night with .22 Shorts in the cannels at night with a boat and spotlight. Just like shooting BIG RATS!!! The Nutria will dig into the cannel banks/dikes and cause them to fail causing $$$$ damage.

Another mistake by folks thinking they know more than nature! If I remember correctly, they were brought into Louisiana to feed on and help minimize the Water Lilly infestation in many Louisiana Bayous….the Nutria has done near nothing to relieve that problem…..merely created another problem.

About 30 or 40 years ago, Louisiana put on a campaign to promote them as a new food source. Several recipes were introduced and while many folks did trap them for the fur……not much success on either! memtb

Smaller ponds are fun. If you get a full infestation, they will eat all the vegetation back away from the bank. They can only hold their breath for a couple of minutes, then have to pop up for a second for air. Good varmint rifle and a half a playing card size target. Whack a mole game. You can clear all of them out if you can get shots with a clear backstop. An elevated shooting position, levee or stand, and varmint bullets minimizes ricochets.

Another mistake by folks thinking they know more than nature! If I remember correctly, they were brought into Louisiana to feed on and help minimize the Water Lilly infestation in many Louisiana Bayous….the Nutria has done near nothing to relieve that problem…..merely created another problem.

About 30 or 40 years ago, Louisiana put on a campaign to promote them as a new food source. Several recipes were introduced and while many folks did trap them for the fur……not much success on either! memtb
That's why they need wolves…to clean up the Nutria problem… o_O

Nutria are vegatarians, the meat I have seen in videos and pictures looks like farm raised rabbit. I would try it.
They look like a giant drowned rat when you pull them out of the water. Big BIG yellow rat teeth and a long hairless tail. Not so bad to look at once the fur dries and fluffs up.
Problem is marketing. Everyone I know doesn't say Nutria, they say Nutria Rat. Hard to sell meat lol.
I propose a marketing solution.
"DITCH RABBIT"

Cajuns used to serve mud hens, coots, with a French name "pouldeau". I understand it is pretty good correctly prepared.
Unusual problems demand unusual solutions.

Come on CST, its only taxpayer dollars spent to fix it. It appears we have way more than enough to go around....... :(

The nutrition have somehow gotten into Oregon waterways as well....the greenie buttheads in Eugene actually have a section of road between a couple ponds that are full of nutria....if you hit one with your car while it is crossing the road you can be fined.......
Had my son blast one up in the mountains near Florence oregon when we lived there.....and the Coquille valley streams are inundated with the pieces of crapola swimming and eating the vegetation on the river banks causing serious erosion problems.....
A trapper I know is purging some lower pasture land canals..but he says he can't kill enough of them....breed like rats.....
During summer time the river is contaminated by all the feces of the nutria.....disgusting....wouldnt dare swim in it like i did as a kid.....a low water floating night hunt sounds like a great way to unload some ammo.....

Are you kidding me? There is a Nutria website dedicated to recipes!!!

Come on CST, its only taxpayer dollars spent to fix it. It appears we have way more than enough to go around....... :(
Just trying to help the Tax Payers for spending money to fix Dikes.
Allen if we had an AirBoat or any boat and had access to some waterways that had these Nutria I would have you on the boat and even provide the AMMO .22 Rem Yellow Jackets (out of our Prized and secret Stash) to shoot these critters.
Len & Jill