Analysis Paralysis

I would research and understand the problems with the PRC cartridges and figure that into your decision. if your heart is with the WSM than stick with it or every time things don't work out with the PRC that will always be in the back of your mind. as far as the gun manufacture get the one that fits you and is comfortable, not all stocks fit and balance the same for every person.

A 300WSM in a medium action is completely different cartridge than in SA. If you are going custom route, I would certainly entertain a 300WSM under this circumstance. This opens up all sorts of new bullet opportunities not available in SA.
I wouldn't be against a medium action rifle. I would prefer to not go the long action route.

I would research and understand the problems with the PRC cartridges and figure that into your decision. if your heart is with the WSM than stick with it or every time things don't work out with the PRC that will always be in the back of your mind. as far as the gun manufacture get the one that fits you and is comfortable, not all stocks fit and balance the same for every person.
I'll have to do some research. The info I have found so far is all positive.

I'll take a slightly different track with short explanation.

About 15 years ago a relative of mine bought a box stock 300 short mag, at that time I was also primarily shooting a 300 short mag. I asked him what ammo he was using and he told Hornaday.... who at that time was not producing 300 wsm ammo as they had not come to an agreement with the owner of the rights to the wsm at that time. No amount of arguing with him could convince him that he didn't have hornady wsm ammo, he was convinced he had a case of it.

He worked seasonally and hunted hard, multi states and multi species over almost a decade. I'm guessing more than a dozen elk, several black bear many coyotes more deer than I can remember and a cougar... or at least that's the pics he sent me... one day out of the blue he asked if we could load up a bunch of ammo as his case was low and he couldn't find anymore of the same ammo. Looking at his baggy of brass it all looked funky and a little bulged.... it was 300 rcm ammo, close to 300 wsm but not 300 wsm. He'd shot more critters in a decade than most will in a lifetime with an over the counter box stock rifle and the wrong ammo....

Point being sometimes we over analyze things way to much, admittedly our culture makes it easy to access data from 1000 sources and rather hard to go where the wild things are. Meanwhile some redneck is wandering around the west whacking and stacking game with the sportsmans package special and the wrong ammo, the important part was being in the field.

The 300 might carry a bit more energy down range, the prc might buck the wind a bit better... with good modern bullets game isn't going to know the difference.

Buy the rifle that fits you best, that has features you like just about all will get it done.

I'll take a slightly different track with short explanation.

About 15 years ago a relative of mine bought a box stock 300 short mag, at that time I was also primarily shooting a 300 short mag. I asked him what ammo he was using and he told Hornaday.... who at that time was not producing 300 wsm ammo as they had not come to an agreement with the owner of the rights to the wsm at that time. No amount of arguing with him could convince him that he didn't have hornady wsm ammo, he was convinced he had a case of it.

He worked seasonally and hunted hard, multi states and multi species over almost a decade. I'm guessing more than a dozen elk, several black bear many coyotes more deer than I can remember and a cougar... or at least that's the pics he sent me... one day out of the blue he asked if we could load up a bunch of ammo as his case was low and he couldn't find anymore of the same ammo. Looking at his baggy of brass it all looked funky and a little bulged.... it was 300 rcm ammo, close to 300 wsm but not 300 wsm. He'd shot more critters in a decade than most will in a lifetime with an over the counter box stock rifle and the wrong ammo....

Point being sometimes we over analyze things way to much, admittedly our culture makes it easy to access data from 1000 sources and rather hard to go where the wild things are. Meanwhile some redneck is wandering around the west whacking and stacking game with the sportsmans package special and the wrong ammo, the important part was being in the field.

The 300 might carry a bit more energy down range, the prc might buck the wind a bit better... with good modern bullets game isn't going to know the difference.

Buy the rifle that fits you best, that has features you like just about all will get it done.
Thank you for the story. Much appreciated.

I looked at the Sako S20 it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm wanting a shorter barrel for hunting in a blind.

Hello again all-

While on vacation we strolled through Cody WY on our way to Yellowstone. I made a trip to the Gunwerks facility and was amazed. The staff was so nice and helpful. If you're in the area I strongly recommend a visit.

I checked out the Werkman system, I know you could build something cheaper and I know some on this forum frown upon buying and not building but I really like the idea of having a complete ready to go platform. My question is does anyone else make a platform like the Werkman? A complete ready to go system with load development and all in that same 5K price range?

Gun Works basically takes what we all do as a hobby and commercialize it and adds a premium. Probably not the worst way of going but also not a huge business model. There does seem to be more than a few Smiths who do prepackages with probably a little more leeway than Gun Works, seems like most are willing to do a work up for a fee if that's what the customer wants.

If it works for you and you can afford it, then I suppose that's the right one regardless of if there are better deals.

Here are my thoughts on the Gunwerks concept-

I currently have a safe full of rifles. I'm embarrassed to admit there are a few that I have never shot and some with less than 20 rounds through them. I just don't have time. The range is a whopping 10 minute drive and I still just don't have time. With three kids (all in sports) a 60+ hour a week job, a house and property to care for I am just busy. So if I went the Gunwerks route they would do some of the leg work for me. I would still need trigger time and actual experience with the rifle but I would have a head start.

I'll be perfectly blunt.

I'd take an existing rifle and 1000$ worth of its favorite ammo over any system and minimal practice.

Reality is Long Range Hunting is kind of like bow hunting, technology can cover a multitude of sins but practice always wins. Wind misses most shots and the rest usually go to shooter excitement. With quality and reasonable prices wind gauges and chronographs as well as increasingly accurate published bullet b.c. gravity/trajectory as well as scope adjustments have minimized the error of the Kentucky windage days. But wind judging and jitters take time to learn and train away.

I'll be perfectly blunt.

I'd take an existing rifle and 1000$ worth of its favorite ammo over any system and minimal practice.

Reality is Long Range Hunting is kind of like bow hunting, technology can cover a multitude of sins but practice always wins. Wind misses most shots and the rest usually go to shooter excitement. With quality and reasonable prices wind gauges and chronographs as well as increasingly accurate published bullet b.c. gravity/trajectory as well as scope adjustments have minimized the error of the Kentucky windage days. But wind judging and jitters take time to learn and train away.
I don't disagree at all. Actual trigger time trumps everything.

I just think the Gunwerks route may provide a boost or maybe possibly lower the learning curve.

I think 15 years ago the tuned package Gunwerks makes was more appealing but with what is readily available today maybe only to someone really trying to push limits and isn't interested in loading their own ammo. You mentioned that you were going to be hunting from a blind and that you practice at a local range. What sort of distances are you able to practice and hunt at? There's readily available ammo that is very consistent for the calibers you were looking at. Add a good rifle that you can shoot under moa and some good rangefinding equipment, you could be hitting pretty reliably at 500 yds with reasonable amount of practice. Anyone that isn't shooting regularly and really can judge wind well probably shouldn't go beyond that.

I think 15 years ago the tuned package Gunwerks makes was more appealing but with what is readily available today maybe only to someone really trying to push limits and isn't interested in loading their own ammo. You mentioned that you were going to be hunting from a blind and that you practice at a local range. What sort of distances are you able to practice and hunt at? There's readily available ammo that is very consistent for the calibers you were looking at. Add a good rifle that you can shoot under moa and some good rangefinding equipment, you could be hitting pretty reliably at 500 yds with reasonable amount of practice. Anyone that isn't shooting regularly and really can judge wind well probably shouldn't go beyond that.
500 would be my maximum range hunting. As far as practice I have a spot I can get out to around 700 on our farm.