Blew a Primer _ Analysis

A COW fire forming update. This should probably go into a new Thread, but I already posted a Thread covering my process. Oh well...

I just finished Cream of Wheat (COW) fire forming 20 RWS 8x68S cases and one Norma 8x68S casing. I employed the same lubricating oil (magical friction reduction) in a clean chamber before fire forming, and to the exterior of each the 21 cases, from the case head/web, all the way to the end of the case neck. I carefully measured and recorded each case length prior to, and after, fire forming.

Here's the skinny on the measured reduction in cartridge length, expressed in thousandths of an inch.
0.014" - Maximum measured on 1 case
0.013" - 2 cases
0.012" - 6 cases
0.011" - 1 case

So 10 of the 21 cases lost between 0.011" to 0.014" when COW fire formed.

All of the other 11 cases loss less than 0.011". Most of the other 11 cartridges
measured loss between 0.004 to 0.008" case length. The cartridge with the least reduction in length lost only 0.002" in length.

I think the Norma 8x68S cases contract less than the RWS cases, because the prior batch of cases I COW fire formed were all Norma cases, and their loss of case length ran only about 1/2 of the loss with the RWS cases today. And the only Norma case COW fire formed today lost 0.003" in case length. Only one of the 20 RWS cases gave up such little case length, at ~0.0025".

IMO, the Norma brass is softer throughout at least the body to neck length, because the bolt lift on the single Norma case today was notably stiffer than any of the 20 RWS cases. And that explains the lesser loss of case length. The Norma brass has a lower yield limit, and stretches forward more permanently, and with less spring-back after the pressure subsides.

Last edited:
The Norma case heads are softer than the RWS. 3 out of 20 Norma cases had a plunger mark on their case heads following COW fire forming.
None of the 40 RWS case heads indicated any bolt plunger marks.
This is consistent with my prior comment on the Norma being softer than the RWS.

Buy the RWS if you want the tougher case heads. Use the Norma during initial load work up to identify and establish maximum acceptable pressures.
Then rotate into the RWS brass for final load development and refinement. That's my plan.

09/15/2018 Update: Having loaded and fired both the RWS and Norma 8x68S cases with identical bullets and powder charges, I conclude that the RWS case heads are only a little bit tougher than the Norma case heads. I measured case rim expansion on both cases when MVs were equal from my LabRadar, and both the Norma and the RWS case rims start to permanently expand at pretty near the same case pressures. The RWS being slightly stronger than the Norma.

Last edited:
Do you guys think there would be any troubles with thesmaller rim diameter in a rem700? If i have to pay to get a new extractor cut in then that might not be worth it to me.

Im waiting for a few used pieces to come in the mail to try. If they dont work ill go with the ugly 300win brass

I'm waiting for a few used pieces to come in the mail to try.
Sounds like a good 1st plan.

I had Kevin Cram install a Sako extractor on one of my 700 bolts. About $110 & shipping costs. I did that simply because I believe it's more reliable. An upgrade to the 700 extractor...

RWS makes 300WM brass also. They'll look like hunchbacks, but I expect they'll function OK.

tried cycling the brass and it wouldnt function. The factory extractor just wont do it for me.

Its really to bad because this would have been a really good alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.