Blew a Primer _ Analysis

Mine is 4110788 and I found an older box with Paul's lot #.
My conclusion is "were bad, still bad"!
Still don't know how both of us destroyed cases some 3 grains under what we had previously fired? Probably never will!
SOLUTION: Use RWS brass!

I'm too lazy to look to verify but it seems I remember that RWS drills their primer pockets rather than stamping them. Is that correct?
Dunno, but RWS brass is high quality. I have it in 404 Jeffery & 7mmRM. It probly is drilled. That or dressed up after punching, because there are no internal burrs.
RWS is equivalent to Lapua in case head strength and primer pocket durability.
The 8x68S could be converted to 375 Ruger casings also, but would require outside neck turning, case trimming, and fireforming. Would allow a guy to operate at higher MV as the cases will support higher operating pressure.
On the other hand, the 375 Ruger is already a powerhouse!

Last edited:
Still don't know how both of us destroyed cases some 3 grains under what we had previously fired? Probably never will!
SOLUTION: Use RWS brass!
Agreed. Problem solved. Moving on.

If we had known 5yrs ago what we know now, we'd have run RWS 8x68s brass right out of the gate. You'd have named it... mother of all wildcats!

The only additional peril is to the game animals we hunt! :) Additional 100yds of downrange expansion velocity! :D

In answer to Will Rose, I think they are drilled flasholes.
Also, I would like to again to give credit to , a somewhat humble, Jace for getting this started!!

In answer to Will Rose, I think they are drilled flasholes.
Also, I would like to again to give credit to , a somewhat humble, Jace for getting this started!!
I know with Lapua they are drilled and much more consistent than with pretty much any other brass I've ever tried and suspected RWS is doing the same to gain the same/similar consistency.

The value of this Forum should be noted. I think the cause of my blown primer has been identified, and I'm moving on with some better quality RWS cases. If I'd had to muddle thru this by my lonesome, I'd still be muddling. Turns out I had a pretty good idea & suspicion as to the cause. Thru this Forum, other members assisted and have identified and confirmed a better option for moving forward.
Thanks to Len for creating and maintaining this Forum, and thanks for the assistance from the other Forum members.

Last edited:
keep us informed on how the RWS brass holds up . still cant believe you can expand the case head that much really shocked it goes against everything I was told in 30 years of reloading. glad to learn something new thanks everybody

Will do.
Recognize the big difference compared to reloading. The web of the 8x68s RWS parent case can only expand in diameter around 0.014" during fireforming before it's stopped and constrained by the steel barrel chamber.

This is a one time expansion of the case web, and it's never repeatedly worked down and then back up - ever again. So in normal reloading, we'd never want to put any case web thru this amount of repetitive expansion & reduction in diameter.

One time only? No problems. No casing, or human, health issues created by expanding the radius of the case web at that location by 0.007".

And that's just one example of why we call it wildcatting! :D

Last edited:
I remember the old ultra mag brass you expanded it from .544 to .550 it was a one time deal because it went in trash after that. I use to reduce it just to get 3-5 firings. never used RWS it has to be like a tank

Maybe once you have some more data on the brass you can start another thread about forming, durability, etc. I may have to sell all my hornady and track some of this down in canada.

The value of this Forum should be noted. I think the cause of my blown primer has been identified, and I'm moving on with some better quality RWS cases. If I'd had to muddle thru this by my lonesome, I'd still be muddling. I had my suspicion as to the cause. Thru this Forum, other members assisted and have identified and confirmed a better option for moving forward.
Thanks to Len for creating and maintaining this Forum, and thanks for the assistance from the other Forum members.
I've said the same thing repeatedly and it cannot be repeated enough. The wealth of experience and good information on this site is light years above and beyond any other source I have ever found in person, print, or on the web.

It's the only forum I've ever been to where I can learn something of value every day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.