7mm VLD analysis

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
Fellow shooters,
I've added some new material to my site. It's a two part series about the BC test results, stability characteristics, and comparative performance analysis of the 7mm 168 and 180 grain VLD's. Effects of meplat pointing/trimming are addressed. The comparison illustrates the difference in wind drift, and the impact on score assuming given wind estimation uncertainties using the standard NRA LR Prone target. Although the analysis is geared towards known distance (KD) target shooting, the raw data is relevant to anyone who shoots these bullets.
Homepage of Bryan Litz - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site
Enjoy,
-Bryan

Wow! I'm using the Berger 168 VLD for LRH and just last weekend I shot at both 300 yds and 990 yds in the effort to establish the field performance BC out of my rifle. I came up with a G1 BC of 0.615 in order to best match my trajectory with a MV = 3080 fps and 990 yd target velocity of ~ 1700 fps, at an elevation of 275'. It look's like your test averaged a G1 BC of 0.617 lb/in2 for that bullet. Probably just a fluke that my BC was so close to the average that you determined. Especially since I only fired two shots @ 990 yds. That was my initial testing out to 900+ yds. I'll tweek my drop chart and shoot again in a confidence building effort to help confirm that my BC is really a close match to my bullet trajectory.

Neat stuff. Close to going over my head but appreciate your post and sharing your research. There's quite a few folks using the Bergers for LRH and others will be able to take advantage of your derived BC information also.

Paul

Excellent articles. Absolutely great!

Would love to see the Meplat article updated with the 300gr .338 Sierra Matchking.

Also, there is an article/discussion on this site about scope alignment that would dovetail nicely into your Coriolis/gyroscopic drift article.

Nicely done!

AJ

Those articles are great! Thanks for sharing your knowlege. I've been using the multi-BC option in my X-ball to get my actuall drop to match. Your info may help me match better. Thanks once again!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts