An idea for controlling / spotting impacts in heavy recoiling rifles

Marine sniper

Something I call a pull strap for controlling recoil / spotting shots in hard kicking rifles.

This is a 10.5 lbs 338 Lapua improved shooting a 252 gr. Cutting Edge MTH bullet at 3126 fps. Normally this amount of recoil would cause the rifle to bounce like crazy- but with approximately 10 lbs. of pull on the strap the sight picture is steady and recoil is very manageable. As you can see the muzzle barely moves. At the end of the video I was trying to capture the image on the chronograph- but was too slow.

With a little practice the rifle is very steady and really gets pulled into your shoulder.

Anyone else with ideas how to get light rifles to shoot well?

Anyone else with ideas how to get light rifles to shoot well?

I may be different, but for accuracy, I find free recoil is best for me. Of course this does little for spotting impacts.
We kind of teach ourselves that the free hand is idle, or rear support, so yanking on a forend strap would be foreign. Work for some things, pure accuracy, no

I shoot a 338 Edge with a 300 gr Berger. I put a Ti 3 Pro brake on it. If I lean into it and do my part, I can see 8 out of 10 hits. Before that particular brake, I wasn't seeing any hits...

I'm surprised people haven't yelled muzzle brake until they passed out yet.

Hoggy, the fundamentals of marksmanship are similar. However with magnums, especially light magnums there are some small differences.

As someone said above free recoil, with a relaxed shoulder is generally how you manage recoil, but some magnums that are especially light you might have to slightly tense up the shoulder to avoid being scoped. How much tension is the tricky part and can effect accuracy, so take note, zero accordingly and try to find consistency.

Tun tavern.

I have a 5 port Beast TI brake on my 9.5 lb .338 Norma, shooting 270 grain bullets at 2840, I spotted every hit this year in the field, from pronghorn at 180 yards to bull elk at 883. Not quite as intense of a cartridge as yours, but a little lighter rifle. I was also shooting with my rifle in a 3.5 lb tripod on pretty much all of those, so that added some weight to the rig, I'm sure it would have less recoil relative to your rifle before adding a brake. If one could maintain consistency, your method seems viable, I would just test the crap out of it shooting in the field to ensure that impacts stay consistent.

Did you use a quick disconnect or a swivel stud? I'm going to give this a try next range session.
Extra long swivel stud with washers, I am going to improve the mounting part now that I have confidence in the system. By your comments re: the tripod / belt I assume you are a former Marine 8541 / 0317 or 0321.