Need help with an idea for rifle build

AKdan

Hi LRH forum,

I am a bit of a new by to the site but am glad to be here. I am an avid shooter and hunter and am looking to build a purpose built rifle.

My purpose is a long range rifle with the right amount of horsepower. I frequent the islands of Alaska hunting deer/goats/etc. but have bears in mind. Whilst hunting the more benevolent animals I have had negative encounters with bears. I am wanting to build a rifle substantial enough for laying down the law with authority yet being able to shoot long range ( out to 1000-1200) for the smaller game. My 300 WM did an ok job on a bear at 12' but wished it had been over sooner. My .375 h&h runs out of steam at long range... Hence the dilemma. Years ago my grandfather created a round from .375 h&h brass that is similar in cased dimension as the .375 Ruger. His intention was to shoot a 300 gr bullet 2600 fps and seat it long in a Winchester mod 70 action. This gave me the idea to build a .375 Ruger and shoot 300-350 gr bullets designed for the cheytac. I figure that a a 350 gr bullet with a BC of .850 or better at 2400+ fps would do the trick. I like the way a slower heavy bullet reacts on game for sake of the meat. I have a .338 lapua but fear what some of the hunting bullets at the lapua speeds will do.( I look at lots of pictures from other posts). I also like to hunt without a muzzlebrake. I am comfortable getting prone behind the .375 h&h with all my loads.

I regularly shoot my .308 with 190 gr bullets at 2500 fps out to 900+ yards. It seems like I am building a bigger .308.

Any thoughs? Thanks for your help!

Bigger than a .300 WM, but less damage than a .338 Lapua...Sounds like a perfect candidate for a .300 Ackley Improved Magnum.

Personally I really like the .375 Ruger and have toyed with the idea of building a long barreled version to see how it would do at longer ranges with heavier bullets but that project got shelved for a year or so till I get through paying off all of my Orthopedists HA!

You may want to consider it for your desired goals.

You can certainly put a lot more powder behind it by going up to the 375 RUM case but then that puts you into a whole lot more recoil to have to deal with.

There's always the RUM family to look at as well. 300 RUM shooting heavies from a 10 twist is a manageable gun.

338 RUM is 50fps slower than the Lapua and about on par with the Norma offering while staying with the ~.540 boltface. The guns and brass are hard to find however.

There's also a 375 RUM, but I haven't ran the ballistics to ensure 1000-1200yd efficacy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.