Need help building new rifle

coastbuck

Ok guys I've been searching through the threads hard and I mean hard for a week straight and I can't decide still. I want to build a 338 just can't figure out what caliber. So far I've look at the edge Lapua and Lapua improved and can't decide. Then trying to figure out a reamer and so on and so forth it's starting to get over whelming lol.

Goal of this rifle is to extend my long range shooting and hunting abilities. I've got a 300 win now and shoots really good out to a 1000 if I do my part. I just want something to take me further and if and when I get good enough be able to take game past 1000. Need some help fellas.

Bear elk deer whatever presents itself during hunting season. The rifle will be throated for the 300 grain Berger's.

Have you looked at the 338 Allen Xpress?? This is a round that really intrigues me. Also you can fire a standard 338 lapua magnum round through it. If i was going with a 338 i would look at the 338 Allen Xpress for sure. With a 300 grain bullet he is able to get 3000 FPS with a 28 to 30 inch barrel.

Just seems like a nice round.

Ya I've look at them they are nice for sure. Just can't make up my mind on what I want to do.

I hear you there. its hard for me to make up my mind like that at times. You want to do it right the first time.

Sounds like all you need to do is make a choice. My vote goes to the 338 Allan Xpress.

I just have a liking for 30 cals...

If you need a .338, and that a big IF, I would go with a standard Lapua Magnum unless you have about an extra 1k.
I know that it is easy enough to fire form most of the Lapua improved cases but to do it every time you need to resize is a pain, unless you get custom dies or a hydro former. Both cost $$$. I would personally sink that money into reloading gear and bullets or better rifle components. Plain Jane Lapua isn't going anywhere and until you hit a very high level of shooting you wont notice the difference.

If I were in your shoes I would spend the coin on bullets and reloading gear now, and when you actually hit the threshold of wanting to shoot farther, then go down that road with a new rifle. especially at the rate that the LR industry is advancing.

I am not sure how your 300 WM is set up, but instead of a new rifle, I would just put a 28" barrel on it and chamber it for the 215 gr Berger.
It will do all you need to out to 1200 yards.will have less recoil than 338. I personally have no reason or ability to shoot at a live animal at those distances.
Now if you just want a 338, by all means go for it. I have a 338 Edge, and love it, but would look at the 338 Lapua Imp as well.
You could also easily rebarrel your 300 WM action into a 338 Edge.

Nemthunter. I just got to pick one build it and not look back. But your right I want it right the first time and that's my biggest problem right now.

Angus. Honestly I don't need a 338 but I want one lol. I've shot a lot this year and my skills have grown a lot. I've almost put 500 Rds through my 300 this year. I plan on continuing shooting this gun and having my skills grow but want something to extend my range when I'm ready for it. The other issue I have is being at sea level. There isn't a lot of stank left at 1k. That's the main reason for the 338. I would just like something with a little power at the big end. I hear you custom rifles aren't cheap, and Ive also look into dies. I need to do some more reacher on that so thanks for bringing that up.

TrueBlue. My 300 is just a factory rem 700 lr. Put a Holland break, jewel trigger, night force 20moa base, and a vortex scope tell I get the one i want one it. Did load development with the 210 Berger's and got 1/2 moa out to 1000 when I do my part. I got 10rds left of the 210 as we speak. Starting a new lot of h1000 and will be switching to the 215 with it. I wanted to put a new 28 inch barrel on it and throat it for the 215 but it wouldn't be done by the time spring bear gets here. So figure just build a 338 leave it alone and after that build is done start work on it. I really like that caliber and would prefer to have both lol. No plans on shooting game that far yet just want to work my way there. If conditions are bad or I feel like my skills that day aren't up to par I won't take the shot.
How do u like your edge? Care to share your build specs?

It is an RBROS rifle. Have shot it out to a mile. 28" Broughton barrel. Like it a lot. A lot of rifle in a huntable carry package.

Nice I've look at some of there builds, very nice rifles for sure. You care to go a little more in depth with your build? Action what's it throated for coal Weight barrel contour stock bullet speeds brass your using please.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.