Aluminum Tipped Bullets from Goergia by Greyghostt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it is any tougher than the front shoulder of a Elk

Fewer of them will be shot at Elk than deer or pigs. Heck, some guys are killing elk with 270 winchesters with factory ammo.

James

the stuff i used was 7/16's thick and i could use it for all the tests. as said, i thought it would be like a rib or leg bone.i've shot 9 of these into combinations of catalogs gallon jugs, magazines and plywood. they're very similar to a berger and the Sierra might be just a bit tougher.

GG is going to test the 280's against the 300SMK's. my guess is the 300 will penitrate a bit farther.

as a foot note, i chrono'd one of these, it was 2770. my goal was to start them out as slow as possible to simulate distance hits.

What would be interesting is to go and get some cow heads or pig heads and shoot them in from of some sort of bullet trap or target board to get a spray pattern.

On the other hand, we are not far away from the four-legged test.

James

Field report from this mornings testing

Interested shooters,

We finished the 10" barrel twist testing on the 212gr .30 caliber bullets... Sadly, they are on the ragged edge of stabilization. On very foggy mornings they will stabilize and on mornings that are more normal for our area down here at sea level, they will not.

So, the 212s need to be shot in 9" or 8" twist barrels. I would recommend the 8" twist to give the shooter the most flexibility.

They are absolute screamers out of an 8" twist barrel and in my barrels, they tune in at the exact same seating depths as the 220 grainer.

Currently, we are going to keep the 212s for the 8"/9" twist barrels. We are getting right at 3400 fps out of these in the 30/378 shooting bug hole groups.

Finally, down the road (probably months), another bullet will be added to the line for a "maximum performance bullet" in the 10" twists. Our goal is for a shooter who does not want to change his/her factory barrels to have an impressive BC bullet available without having to visit the gunsmith for a face lift/barrel lift.

Sorry the 212s did not work out for the factory barrel shooters.

James

Thanks for the report Lghtvrmnt.

I currently have a 30/378 with the factory 10 twist tube. My intent is to shoot out the barrel before getting a 9 twist lilja installed. Please keep us posted as to when the 10 twist friendly bullets are available.

That's a bummer. Oh well, more for me! :D (if the 220s don't work in my 1:9). Something around 200 grains ought to do it for the 1:10s.

i have a picture of the spray pattern. it's the same on every one. will try and get them to GG to post with his results.

Thanks for the report Lghtvrmnt.

I currently have a 30/378 with the factory 10 twist tube. My intent is to shoot out the barrel before getting a 9 twist lilja installed. Please keep us posted as to when the 10 twist friendly bullets are available.

The 180s that are basically the BC equivalent of the 240 SMK are available now for 10" twist shooters. They would be pure lightning out of your 30/378.

James

That's a bummer. Oh well, more for me! :D (if the 220s don't work in my 1:9). Something around 200 grains ought to do it for the 1:10s.

The 180s work fine. It is what I have loaded in my Wichita Silhouette Pistol in .308 and what I will be tuning in the 300 win mag tomorrow.

James

Finally, down the road (probably months), another bullet will be added to the line for a "maximum performance bullet" in the 10" twists. Our goal is for a shooter who does not want to change his/her factory barrels to have an impressive BC bullet available without having to visit the gunsmith for a face lift/barrel lift.

Sorry the 212s did not work out for the factory barrel shooters.

James

How about in the 205gr range like the Horn-daddy A Max? Would 7 grains make a big enough difference or a drop to 200gr work better do you think?

Rocky

The 180s work fine. It is what I have loaded in my Wichita Silhouette Pistol in .308 and what I will be tuning in the 300 win mag tomorrow.

James

James,

I've got some 180s ordered for my 300 WM. Would appreciate some feedback after you shoot your 300 WM tomorrow. Powder, load, primer, bullet setback from lands, MV, performance, BC, ... whatever data you happen to generate. Thanks much for your testing and reporting on these high BC bullets.

Perhaps we will just continue the conversation over here.

Crawl back into your hole buffalobob and please don't ever come out again until you can get your stories straight. I only made legitimate posts about the bullets that I had actually used (only .30 caliber versions)......... I was disappointed with the customer service (answering emails and the phone calls) with respect to the aluminum tipped ones (both .30 and 338) and that is why I told him to go directly to the source. It is always easier to go straight to the source. If you can't get to the source, switch brands. Very simple.

Now, BB you have successfully again brought up something that is incorrect in an attempt to zing me. Unfortunately, it also involves someone else. Buffalo Bob, don't just go, go away.

kids

That was very valuable information, thanks for wasting everyones time!

Agreed,

If you want to spend time criticizing Lightvarmint, start yourself a new thread or do it via e-mail or personal messages. It's probably not as much fun that way, but at least you won't waste everyone else's time. As it is, no one other than you or Lightvarmint might know what your last post was about, so you might as well just PM Lightvarmint directly, or put him on your ignore list if you find something so offensive about his posts that you can't let go of it.

I and others are interested in learning about the Henson AL-tipped bullets. And as far as I know, Wildcat Bullets has no patent on the manufacture of AL-tipped bullets. If they do, then they can take that fight to Henson themselves. The more custom bullet makers that manufacture these bullets, ultimately the better product we'll end up with, and at a price based on competition between the various manufacturers.

People's personal alliances should not be used as an excuse on this forum to attempt to restrict the practice of private enterprise solely to those personal alliances. Most of us don't want to hear or read about these efforts to stifle that have no informational value to shooters and hunters.

As long a Light Varmint continues his vendetta against Richard Graves of Wildcat Bullets then I will give Light Varmint grief. If Chawlston continues his vendetta then I will continue. It is very simply up to him whether he leaves Richard alone and in peace.

I have no other agenda than that. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.