Aluminum Tipped bullet update

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lightvarmint

Hello again,

We have been testing the 280 grain and 265 grain .338 bullets Greyghostt makes and found out some interesting information when defining the pressure limits for the particular type of powder. We were pushing them to the pressure point in a 338 Lapua Improved that I designed so that we could get five reloads from the factory 338 Lapua case after fireforming.

Here is the best part. No copper fouling in the 338 Lapua improved with the Hart barrel. We tried it again in the 338/378 with the K&P barrel and the same results. Not copper fouling at all. We tested both barrels for copper with both Shooters Choice and Sweets used seperately of course. We then introduced the bronze brush to ensure the chemicals were working and that produced copper.

The 265s (.770 sea level BC) yielded 3210.9 fps (222.1 fps higher than the 300 SMK) and the 280s (.878 sea level BC) yielded 3109.6 (121 fps higher than the 300 SMK) out of my design of the 338 Lapua Improved in a 30" barrel. We certainly could have gotten another 60 fps out of the case, but it would have been at the expense of brass life.

He is working hard producing the sample bullets to send out. Don't miss out on the free test bullets and shipping. Again, Greyghostt's email is [email protected] if you are genuinely interested in trying the bullets.......

Have a nice day.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of accuracy are you getting with the aluminum tipped bullets compared to the sierra's. Also, how consistent are they in weight and ogive length? Have you done any terminal tests with the bullets?

For what it's worth RG informed me that they are .075" longer from ogive to tip than the 300 SMK (not sure if that was the 265's or the 280's though).

James, I remember reading what brand of jacket they were but was wondering how they compare to Sierra's in thickness? I asked RG but it seems my question was overlooked. Thanks

What type of accuracy are you getting with the aluminum tipped bullets compared to the sierra's. Also, how consistent are they in weight and ogive length? Have you done any terminal tests with the bullets?

Rock,

They shoot as good or better than the 300 SMK in both my guns. Weight is very consistent due to two factors..... #1 they are made correctly and #2 he even sorts them to ensure you don't get any right or left tails of the bell curve. The only terminal tests were behind the target and when compared to the SMK, the jacket stays together and does not fragment and disentigrate like the SMK. No testing on fur as of yet. The ogive is very consistent in that when the die is set, you won't get more than .001 + or - in base of the case to the ogive. At least the ones that I have been using. Not like the SMK where you have to seat them long and then dial to the final value on the vernier ogive tool.

All bullets being made in the same dies help the consistency you will see and experience.

James

For what it's worth RG informed me that they are .075" longer from ogive to tip than the 300 SMK (not sure if that was the 265's or the 280's though).

James, I remember reading what brand of jacket they were but was wondering how they compare to Sierra's in thickness? I asked RG but it seems my question was overlooked. Thanks

Both the 265s and the 280s as from the ogive to the tip, the bullets are the same. It is really hard to nail down the exact difference to the length tolerance on the 300SMK. The length is different from the ogive to the base of the bullet. They are .030" Hairfield jackets. I really don't know how thick the sierra jacket is on the 300 SMK. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Have a nice day.

James

James,

Sounds very good and I appreciate the update. Weight sorts the bullets also... nice!

James,

Sounds very good and I appreciate the update. Weight sorts the bullets also... nice!

Paul,

You are most welcome. I sincerely hope they shoot in your guns as well as they shoot in mine. And yes, it is truly amazing that he weight sorts them..... But he does. Mine were 280.7 and 280.8 in one box and 280.4 amd 280.5 in another box. Absolute fantastic customer relations and customer service.

James

Hello,

Thanks for all the response and interest to the bullet testing offer. The 338 aluminum tipped offer is now closed and hopefully all got their requests in on time. More testing opportunities on other calibers and configurations to follow very shortly.......

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts