Henson Aluminum tipped bullets test

Yes, jacket thickness and hardness can have a profound effect on pressures

More than a 10% change in bullet weight?

Maybe that's why book max loads are so low these days, compensating for the 'lowest common denominator', so to speak

genuine question, I haven't encountered it yet.

Ok, so I'll back off a grain to 100 of US 869. You guys make me nervous.

Roughly measured, the bearing surface is around 0.830" compared to roughly 0.70 for the SMK.

The SMK velocity is 2735. We'll see what the HAT will do.

If the new die produces shorter bearing surface and the rear diameter of the tip is the same that sucker has gotta be a bit longer.

The 265s shot really well. This version of the HAT may well also. Much more length and it may push the 10 twist a bit.

I seated the 265s deep enough to barely allow a loaded round to eject. I'll do the same with the 280s to start.

Great thread guys. What caliber are you guys using to launch those canon balls.338RUM, 338edge, just wondering maybe I need a new gun:).
You don't need different dies for the 300g SMK do you?

Thanks Gabe

We haven't heard any thing from lightvarmint. Is he out testing on game or did he give up on us? I still want to here more about these bullets. 30cal selection mostly for me.

Steve

As another 30 cal old time shooter with some experience at trying to get the Lost River bullets to shoot, I offer the thought that the twist may hold the key to accuracy but I am awaiting your actual tests with positive interest and best wishes for the developer as we are tough customers. If MV is the limiting factor, moly coating them reduces initial chamber pressures. Cordially, Overbore

Since I have just loaded up a "passel" of fmjbt's, I was just reminded that zero expansion bullets killed multiple tens of thousands in WW-2.
The real problem that was sought to be solved with the al tips is two-fold:
1. To increase the BC with a finer , reduced drag, tip and
2. To eliminate the unequal tip lengths from unequal "nose" diameter sizes giving vertical dispersion.

Then the thought was a hunting round about which I am holding opinions until testing results are confirmed; however, I believe that even with zero expansion this could be a very effective long, long range bullet. OVerbore

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.