Aluminum Tipped Bullets from Goergia by Greyghostt

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lightvarmint

Hello,

We have been testing and working up loads, establishing sea level BCs, and generally seeing how hard they can be pushed. We are done with the .338 testing for now until the new dies come in. They are available for sale at this time in both 265 and 280 grain offerings to all interested parties.

I just got done testing some of the 220 grain 30 caliber offerings this morning in the 0600 pristine conditions and I will have to say they performed superbly in the 8" twist Kreiger on the Hall Express action.

He will be making some 212 and 180s as well. We will work on those next week in both custom and factory guns. I suspect they will be available for sale in a few weeks once we get all the answers to the anticipated questions.

More information to follow.

Contact the bullet maker at [email protected] for orders and you can contact me at my email address or PM for routine questions that pertain to the testing results.

Have a great weekend.

James

Lightvarmint,

Are these considered a hunting bullet? If so, what impact velocities are considered too fast or too slow? Have you shot them into media, like phone books or water jugs?

Thanks, Steve

BC

data for the 180's? What twist is required for a 1.35 SG?? I am not kicking but asking valid questions pre order as I am using a 1-11 twist for 190's. Best wishes, Overbore

data for the 180's? What twist is required for a 1.35 SG?? I am not kicking but asking valid questions pre order as I am using a 1-11 twist for 190's. Best wishes, Overbore

The 180 BC should be very close to the 240 SMK, maybe even better. Email the bullet maker and tell him you are using the 11" twist and he probably will send you a few to use to check for stabilization.

What is a 1.35 SG?

James

Lightvarmint,

Are these considered a hunting bullet? If so, what impact velocities are considered too fast or too slow? Have you shot them into media, like phone books or water jugs?

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

We are still testing the BCs and the grouping ability of the .30 cal bullets in different guns (both custom and factory). Impact tests on critters will be next. These are the same jackets used by many custom makers (ie Wildcat bullets from Canada) for thier hunting bullets. These are hunting bullets and they will work in match rifles as well.

We did do some very preliminary impact testing in some mud banks of dirt right after a few inches of rain and the results were interesting to say the least. The 300 SMK blew up and fragmented into small chips upon impact from a muzzle velocity of 3000 while the 265s @ 3200 and the 280s @ 3100 opened up and peeled back and did not fragment at all. However, we are still waiting for a coyote to sacrifice himself for the sake of science.

Anyway, one of the benefits of these bullets is that they resist fouling the barrel even at the upper end velocities. We have pushed the .30s (180s) over 3600 without fouling issues out of a Kreiger 8" twist barrel.

James

Hello,

We have been testing and working up loads, establishing sea level BCs, and generally seeing how hard they can be pushed. We are done with the .338 testing for now until the new dies come in. They are available for sale at this time in both 265 and 280 grain offerings to all interested parties.

Thanks James. So how did they do?? I'm going to get out and try mine in the Thunder as soon as the next benchrest match is over next week.

Thanks James. So how did they do?? I'm going to get out and try mine in the Thunder as soon as the next benchrest match is over next week.

GG,

You know how skeptical folks are when you quote a group size that they have never been able to routinely achieve........ So, I will say (post) it like this, they will out shoot the gun and the shooter each and every time when properly tuned. At least they have with my equipment and the limits of my abilities. If you are not shooting in the zeros, keep tuning if the gun can produce that level of accuracy because it is well within the capabilities of the bullet. I think you get the flavor of what I am saying.

FWIW,when one shoots these bullets, they (the bullets) are not the weak link in the accuracy formula. The weak link will be the nut behind the trigger and the gunsmith who assembled the shooting stick.

If you ever hear of a gunsmith who can't get them to shoot, then you might want to stay clear of his work.

As far as pushing them hard, we have not experienced any degredation in accuracy when pushing them to the limits of the rifle brass (338 Lapua, 338/378, 30/378, 300 win mag w/lapua brass). As you well know, if you exceed the limits of the brass, then you might not get the cutting edge accuracy out of any bullet load combination.

What I usually tell the interested folks for the .338s is to take the 300 SMK load and move it back to
.050" off the lands and that should be a good place to get a feel for how your equipment likes the bullets. All of my load tuning has been at the pressure level for five reloadings of the brass and still have easy extraction. At this level, all of the loads have been .040" to .060" off of the lands.

I think Roy in Idaho likes them as well.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
GG,

Almost forgot........ Since I have been shooting these bullets, and at this point in time, I feel as I would if I found the end of the internet........ Both happy and disappointed....... Because there is nothing else interesting to me left for me to try.

James

GG,

You know how skeptical folks are when you quote a group size that they have never been able to routinely achieve........ So, I will say (post) it like this, they will out shoot the gun and the shooter each and every time when properly tuned. At least they have with my equipment and the limits of my abilities. If you are not shooting in the zeros, keep tuning if the gun can produce that level of accuracy because it is well within the capabilities of the bullet. I think you get the flavor of what I am saying.

FWIW,when one shoots these bullets, they (the bullets) are not the weak link in the accuracy formula. The weak link will be the nut behind the trigger and the gunsmith who assembled the shooting stick.

If you ever hear of a gunsmith who can't get them to shoot, then you might want to stay clear of his work.

As far as pushing them hard, we have not experienced any degredation in accuracy when pushing them to the limits of the rifle brass (338 Lapua, 338/378, 30/378, 300 win mag w/lapua brass). As you well know, if you exceed the limits of the brass, then you might not get the cutting edge accuracy out of any bullet load combination.

What I usually tell the interested folks for the .338s is to take the 300 SMK load and move it back to
.050" off the lands and that should be a good place to get a feel for how your equipment likes the bullets. All of my load tuning has been at the pressure level for five reloadings of the brass and still have easy extraction. At this level, all of the loads have been .040" to .060" off of the lands.

I think Roy in Idaho likes them as well.

James

Very good. I had no doubts on accuracy capability of these bullets. I put them through every bullet testing method I have on hand and they passed with flying colors. But what I am curious about is the terminal performance. Have you tried to see if they expand in media yet? I went by the local newspaper recycling bin yesterday to get some test media to shoot into but they had just emptied it. It will be another few weeks before it gets full enough I can swipe a few used phonebooks!

I'm going to get out and try mine in the Thunder as soon as the next benchrest match is over next week.

OK James. You've got us on the edge of our chairs. I'll be checking in regularly next week with great interest in GG's post-firing report. I've got some of the 280s but still haven't outfitted my 338 Edge with a scope yet. That will happen sooner rather than later if GG puts 'em all in the same hole like you. ;)

For what it's worth I'm in the middle of getting sectioned pictures.

P.S. they won't expand at the velocity a belt sander will fling them out at.:D:D

i've been planning terminal testing for a while now. have close to 20 milk jugs and a bunch of magazines.will post results when i've exploded a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.