Alternative elk

Bravo 4

Been hunting elk in Colorado for the past several years when the job allows it. Done the past 4 in a row and I'm kinda spoiled by it. It is my favorite hunt, pretty much the only thing I look forward too now a days. After several years in the same area I think I finally have it mapped out and know where to find elk consistently. Got reassigned to another position (pretty cool job as Senior Sniper Instructor) and now it looks like we will have students on the ground all of the rifle seasons, probably for the next few years (until I retire). This year I have 21 Sep to 9 October, then late Nov to early December open. Most likely a tall order but looking for a rifle hunt that myself and maybe a buddy or two can go on, public land most likely to help keep cost down. We drive 1200 miles but don't mind a little extra.
Any recommendations on where to look?
Thanks

No advice, but I would like to acknowledge the sacrifice. Sorry, and Thank You for this and all the other sacrifices that go with it.
Thank you kind Sir, but it's just a job. Not looking for hand outs guys, pointed in the right direction would be great. If I don't make it this year or the next, it'll just make things sweeter when I do get to go.
I am looking into a pronghorn hunt with a certain member here, thanks again to Cody. That may be my blessing for the year!

5D33755D-AF44-4800-9750-6C1CB6F27FB6.jpeg
I'm with you that elk hunting is about all I look forward to. Other hunts are fun but just not the same. Unfortunately 1st rifle doesn't start until Oct 12th.
Does 4th rifle work for you starting Nov 13th?
If none of the standard hunts fit your schedule, and you're set on rifle, then you'll want to look into the late season draw Ranching for Wildlife hunts for a cow elk tag. (Very few options for bull/either sex tags)

Check out page 37 of the 2019 Colorado big game brochure. I have not researched which of these hunts you can draw without preference points. Do you have any? Happy to look into some numbers for you if that's something you're interest in. Depending on the ranch/hunt there are options for late November into January.

Last edited:
View attachment 125061 I'm with you that elk hunting is about all I look forward to. Other hunts are fun but just not the same. Unfortunately 1st rifle doesn't start until Oct 12th.
If none of the standard hunts fit your schedule, and you're set on rifle, then you'll want to look into the late season draw Ranching for Wildlife hunts for a cow elk tag. (Very few options for bull/either sex tags)

Check out page 37 of the 2019 Colorado big game brochure. I have not researched which of these hunts you can draw without preference points. Do you have any? Happy to look into some numbers for you if that's something you're interest in. Depending on the ranch/hunt there are options for late November into January.
Thanks Timber,
November 21st is day after class graduation and so first day I'll get to head out. I do not have any elk preference points.

There are some late seasons available in CO. Check to see if there are any late season tags in the area your familiar. If not, then take a look for late season tags around Craig. There is a lot of BLM land around Craig. The herd in that area are suppose to number around 23,000. Although if there isn't a bunch of snow they stay holed up in the higher elevation timber.

If you have a place you know well I'd say pick up a bow and hit the last week of archery it's the best anyway. Or try for late season cow usually runs the week after Thanksgiving if it snows the elk will be down lower. But you would have to do private land to get a bull late. Good luck and thanks for your service.

Wyoming has a few late hunts. The draw is over so you will have to wait for the resident leftovers.

Another option is Idaho. I believe they have a few units that open September 15th for rifle.

Montana also has a few units that open September 15th. The rifle season closes December 1st. With your schedule Montana might be your best options to hunt bulls unless you change weapon types.

Also if you aren't a Colorado resident you aren't allowed to apply for RFW tags in Colorado.

New Mexico has a few hunts that are October 5th-9th I think. Most are muzzleloader hunts. But there is a rifle hunt or two. Not great odds of drawing but it is another option.

Good luck

Thank you kind Sir, but it's just a job. Not looking for hand outs guys, pointed in the right direction would be great. If I don't make it this year or the next, it'll just make things sweeter when I do get to go.
I am looking into a pronghorn hunt with a certain member here, thanks again to Cody. That may be my blessing for the year!
Hope ya draw man!! We do have some late season cow options as someone else mentioned, and I know some decent areas around here, we had a buddy come out from California this last season and harvest a nice cow, its mostly public but late season the ranchers are pretty great about letting people take out the elk eating their hay stacks!!

View attachment 125061 I'm with you that elk hunting is about all I look forward to. Other hunts are fun but just not the same. Unfortunately 1st rifle doesn't start until Oct 12th.

RFW tags are for CO residents only.

I would definitely look into archery hunting. Chasing elk with a bow is hard to beat.
I bet it would be an adrenaline rush to be within bow range of a bugling bull. Until this past season my closest kill was 811 yards. The cow I shot this year was right at 100 yards and I about crapped my pants trying to get steady. :eek:
I have gone home with tags in my pocket (expensive!), so I want to be able to shoot them if I ever get to see them. If I lived in elk country I would sure be chasing them with a bow, muzzleloader, whatever.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts