7mm Elk Bullets- Berger Alternates

In eastern NC, many of the deer taken are small framed does and even the bucks don't get big bodies. At 200 yards or less, I found that a Berger, put in the best possible location for vitals, would "pencil through the deer" and the deer would carry it off 25-100 yards, because they don' have the body mass to have the bullet expand before it has exited. In a large open crop field, not a problem. In the Hyde county briars, vines and blowdowns, it is a huge problem. 50 yards on your hands and knees, dodging timber and pygmy rattle snakes, while trying to beat a bear to your deer is less than an enjoyable endeavor. SO, I tried bullets until I found one that transferred enough energy into a small framed animal to knock it off its feet and crush it where it stood. The Berger's killed, as do any other bullet that is loaded to proper velocity and shot into the correct location, it just did not kill them reliably where they stood. I still shoot some bears with Berger's and in open ground at long distance, I still have Berger's loaded for those shots. For Hyde, my dad has me load Game Kings for his 7-300 as he feels it knocks them down for DRT performance. Again, shoot what you have confidence in, as part of making the shot, is KNOWING you can and believing in your equipment, and that includes the bullet.
Never shoot vitals, always high front shoulder all the large important deer stuff and a dead deer with a Berger, every time.

Never shoot vitals, always high front shoulder all the large important deer stuff and a dead deer with a Berger, every time.
Hmmm. I always shoot for the crease behind the front leg tucked in tight. I have only had one go more than 50 yards on a dead run. But 80% drop at the shot. And I usually get exits and a great blood trail. I think I have only recovered 4 bullets to date.

Hmmm. I always shoot for the crease behind the front leg tucked in tight. I have only had one go more than 50 yards on a dead run. But 80% drop at the shot. And I usually get exits and a great blood trail. I think I have only recovered 4 bullets to date.
This is similar to my experience as well shooting several large Kansas whitetails & muleys. Pic below has been my experience of typical exit would for double lung shot anywhere from 60-400yds using 280ai 168g VLDH.

Attachments

• IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    655.8 KB · Views: 20