7MM Berger 168 grain for elk

mightyman

To all
Headed to Montana for elk Sept 20th
What is the consensus of the experts on the 168 Grain Berger VLD #28501 for Elk.

The reason I ask is I have worked with the Nosler partition,160 grain and the Accubonds 140 grain but the Bergers shoot the best consistently.

Thanks
Mighty man

To all
Headed to Montana for elk Sept 20th
What is the consensus of the experts on the 168 Grain Berger VLD #28501 for Elk.

The reason I ask is I have worked with the Nosler partition,160 grain and the Accubonds 140 grain but the Bergers shoot the best consistently.

Thanks
Mighty man

They are great bullets that will serve you well.

Loaded some for my coworker's 7mm 2 years ago, he killed a large cow elk @ 230 one shot DRT. The next week a very nice muley @ 120 bang-flop. All my hunting friends use them except 1 cause his 30-06 BAR had magazine fit issue with them. Currently working on a Berger VLD load for my .270 Weatherby with the 150 gr. good luck

Marble
No have not tried the 160 gr Accubonds as I have looked locally for awhile and have not been able t find....
Thanks for the responses.....may g with the Bergers based on this input
Thanks
MM

They are a known performer and the most accurate in your rifle? Sounds like a no Brainer to me.

Last year, one shot drt @ 608 yrds. 7mm Remington mag, 168gr Berger vld. This was the first time I had ever shot anything with the 168 vld. I was impressed

The Bergers are great for a shot to the vitals area and very deastating but tend to have significant meat loss when landed to a shoulder. This is one shot from a 140gr from 456 yards to the liver and heart on an elk.

I don't have pics but have seen more dramatic results on a deer from a 7mm 168gr vld at 300 yards.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 338
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 330
This bullet at 150 yards is best suited for a chest shot. The big joint in the shoulder flat out stopped the 168 from a 7mm mag. No part of the bullet made it to the vitals. The shooter was very unprepared mentally, and had missed three times before finally hitting this bull. He used my rifle with a 215 berger for a bang flop, complete pass thru.
Shoot for lungs at close range, and you will be fine. I have killed several cow elk with a 25-06 and 100 gr SMK.
Have fun, and shoot at every wolf you see!

Thanks for the information and posting the pictures...I wld like to save as much meat as possible and this looks like much was wasted.
I'll stick with the Accubonds on this hunt
Mightyman

Thanks for the information and posting the pictures...I wld like to save as much meat as possible and this looks like much was wasted.
I'll stick with the Accubonds on this hunt
Mightyman

Having cut more elk than most have seen the Accubond is hard on meat, especially a shoulder shot! I've seen an hit elk at the exact same point as the picture with a 180 Accubond from a 300 WSM and it did the exact same thing only the entire shoulder was destroyed plus the blood shot ran up the neck and through the flanks. I have some pictures of a cow I shot and hit her right at the tip of the shoulder blade and spine, she was blood shot from her rail bone all the way down into her neck, this was when I was just starting to shoot Berger and I also hit her with a Berger just behind the shoulder and there was about a half inch of bruising around the wound with nearly zero meat loss. You gotta keep Accubond of bone if your looking to save meat!!!!!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.