Which Bullets for Elk in 7mm?

After using Bergers for the first time myself last year I would totally recommend them. I use 210 gr in my 300 Ultra, and my dad uses 168gr in his 7mag. Both of us got an elk, neither one took a single step after being shot... excellent performance!! IMO The 168s would work well in both the 280, and the 7mm.

I would also add the 150 grain E-tip. With 95% weight retention it would outpenetrate nearly any 160 grain bullet out there and would certainly be flatter shooting with a .498 BC to at least 500 yards.

I like the 160 gr Accubond in my 7mm RM for elk. I've also had good results with it on African Plains Game up to Black Wildebeest and Red Hartebeest in size, and for caribou and musk ox.

My vote: 168vld bergers

These bullets don't always pass through due to great expansion and releases all of its energy into the elk unless the bullet passes through. Wound channels can be as large as 18". Yet the berger bullet doesn't expand for the first few inches before expanding so penetration at entry is excellent.

Some people don't like berger vlds due to too much damage and doesn't pass through for blood trailing purpose.

Shot placement is more important...

Can somebody tell why elk hunters generally use the harder bullets over the 168 vlds and 162 sst for bull elk hunting? I haven't heard of one get away yet.

I shoot Bergers and Barnes. I like Barnes for bullet performance. Read some that say the don't fly well. I shoot 4 inch groups at 400 yards in a 300 RUM.
I love the way they perform after the HIT something. I've shot 2.5 inch groups at 400 with my 270. Best I can tell, out to 400, the VLDs don't gain anything on the barnes. The great thing in my 270 is they are basicly interchangable out to 400 yards. The POI of the group is less than 2 inches off at 400.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.