Alternative elk

Bravo 4,
It sounds great that you know how to work an area that you know. I see too many guys that are hell bent on moving on ATVs vs working a drainage that you know is an elk path. Fourth season in CO is a gas but be ready for anything, weather wise.

Been hunting elk in Colorado for the past several years when the job allows it. Done the past 4 in a row and I'm kinda spoiled by it. It is my favorite hunt, pretty much the only thing I look forward too now a days. After several years in the same area I think I finally have it mapped out and know where to find elk consistently. Got reassigned to another position (pretty cool job as Senior Sniper Instructor) and now it looks like we will have students on the ground all of the rifle seasons, probably for the next few years (until I retire). This year I have 21 Sep to 9 October, then late Nov to early December open. Most likely a tall order but looking for a rifle hunt that myself and maybe a buddy or two can go on, public land most likely to help keep cost down. We drive 1200 miles but don't mind a little extra.
Any recommendations on where to look?
Thanks
Contacted Kellyanne Conway's office and this was their Alternative Elk suggestion...

Attachments

• 97d6b0a87a74e7c0fc6cd156937e6c63e90945913db5733edfc89577ead96633.jpg
    97d6b0a87a74e7c0fc6cd156937e6c63e90945913db5733edfc89577ead96633.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 131
I bet it would be an adrenaline rush to be within bow range of a bugling bull. Until this past season my closest kill was 811 yards. The cow I shot this year was right at 100 yards and I about crapped my pants trying to get steady. :eek:
I have gone home with tags in my pocket (expensive!), so I want to be able to shoot them if I ever get to see them. If I lived in elk country I would sure be chasing them with a bow, muzzleloader, whatever.
I went muzzleloader years ago but it's a Thompson center encore and I'm accurate to 300 yds. Easier to draw Elk tags for muzzleloader, especially anterless tags.

Montana would be tough based on your dates for regular season, you wouldn't be hunting bulls but the Montana shoulder seasons start in some areas as early as August 15 and go through Feb 15. Regular season is late October until Thanksgiving weekend usually. Good for meat in the freezer and a good time...

Montana Early Shoulder season Aug 15-third weekend of October usually, dates depend on area

Montana Late Shoulder season Monday after Thanksgiving until around Feb 15, again dates depend on area and the weather can be BRUTAL cold.

Montana Archery is another option - Usually Sept 1 - October 15-20 time frame.

Last edited:
Montana would be tough based on your dates for regular season, you wouldn't be hunting bulls but the Montana shoulder seasons start in some areas as early as August 15 and go through Feb 15. Regular season is late October until Thanksgiving weekend usually. Good for meat in the freezer and a good time...

Montana Early Shoulder season Aug 15-third weekend of October usually, dates depend on area

Montana Late Shoulder season Monday after Thanksgiving until around Feb 15, again dates depend on area and the weather can be BRUTAL cold.

Montana Archery is another option - Usually Sept 1 - October 15-20 time frame.

Montana is horrible

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.