alaskan hunt

6mm06guy

Can any one give me tips on what cloths to where and bring? I have my guns covered. I'm not sure where I'm going to hunt yet, the guy that's taking me said 2 hrs outside north pole alaska.
I have never hunted outside Missouri and I'm in dire need of assistance.If it helps I'm wanting to go to Colorado soon as well to hunt elk, and I think the equipment lists will be similar.
I will be going in September to hunt for moose and caribou.
If you guys need any more details I will be more than happy to list anything. Thanks in advance guys.

Very good rain gear, i.e. rubber suit. 90% chance it will rain on you and for more than just a little bit. If you don't plan on hiking a whole lot, buy some high dollar waders and wading boots that fit real well, especially if you're hunting the swamps for moose. Head net for bugs, don't forget it or they'll drive you mad. Warm layers like down or primaloft to wear under your rain gear. It's no tale that you can look at temps as high as the 80's or down below freezing. Just remember that this isn't Missouri where your deer stand is within a couple miles of the nearest help. I know where you're going, and it's better to be geared up and not need stuff than get stuck and die. That country is very remote but awesome. good luck with the hunt, and don't forget to buy a bear tag as well.

Rain gear is a must, dress in layers and you should be fine. I would also bring a pistol( 44 or bigger).. Remember to have fun and enjoy the scenery!!!!! I don't remember seeing what caliber rifle your bringing up, but I would stick with a 30 caliber or bigger. Not a must, but if the grizzly or brownie comes around you want to be prepared.

Every one seems to recommend the down jacket, so that's on my list. I'm looking at some sitka gear, that I believe is waterproof. Should I worry about spending that much on cloths or invest in good fleece and rain gear instead. The sitka stuff is extremely expensive and they have so many options, I'm not sure what to buy at all. Average temps seem to be 25-65 and rainy, from what I'm reading. I'm just scared I'll get up there and be unprepared. It's a once in a lifetime hunt and I don't want to muck it up, the guy I'm going with said he bought all his gear at cabelas, but I don't live up there... so I have no idea what to bring. Hes leaving where we hunt up to me as well, and when I ask what to bring the answer is always, "depends on where we're going and what were hunting"...

If you want to save a bit on rain gear, look into helly Hansen impertech. it's basically a rubber rain suit, so layer that with a good insulating layer and you'll be comfy. you're not mountain hunting so lightweight high dollar gear may not be necessary unless you want to spend the money. also look into kuiu, less than Sitka and on the same level. being dry on those hunts is so important, so don't skimp.

Went on my first Yukon hunt last September. Weather was very nice the week I was there. No rain, just a little snow the day before we left that screwed up everything. Hunting that territory is a guessing game when it comes to the weather. Dress in layers by starting with a base layer of merino wool long underwear tops and bottoms. Next a good pair of pants light weight pants (KUIU) Attack Pants or(Silka) Ascent Pants. I wore a short sleeve merino wool t shirt over my long underwear. I wore a light weight jacket that was not waterproof but would block the wind and shed light rain and snow. I believe that the Helly Hansen Imperitech rain gear will be the best for the moose hunting. Kuiu has rain gear called Chugach NX that is real light and packable. I believe that a nice down coat would be nice as well for insulation. Start breaking in your boots now so that your feet will survive.

+ 1 on the Helly Hansen. Cabela's knocked it off with their brand. It has a better fit, velcro closures on sleeves and pant legs,and will save you a few bucks.

It's a once in a lifetime hunt and I don't want to muck it up, the guy I'm going with said he bought all his gear at cabelas, but I don't live up there... so I have no idea what to bring. He's leaving where we hunt up to me as well, and when I ask what to bring the answer is always, "depends on where we're going and what were hunting"...

The guy you're going with... has he ever hunted before. He doesn't have a hunting location in mind? Expects you to lead the way? He doesn't seem to be very helpful or forthcoming with advice. Dress in layers and make sure you have rain gear, which can serve as a wind breaker also. I use lightweight breathable rain gear. If you're taking a down vest or jacket, it HAS to be kept dry or it'll be useless. I use a down vest during sheep hunting, and cover it with a goretex rain jacket to block the wind when standing / still.

Buy a dry bag. The kind kayakers use, that way all your clothes will be dry if it starts to rain real hard. Break in your boots, I messed up this year and didn't break in my boots in all the way and almost ruined ,my caribou hunt.

He has hunted before, but he's not picky on what we hunt, and I want to kill one of each. I'll be more than pleased with one animal, but I'm unsure of witch one to go after first. So I think part of that is on me. Unless some of you guys have a honey hole in Alaska loaded with moose elk and bear in the same spot.

Thanks guys I'll look into the kuiu gear asap and the rain gear. Any suggestion on boots? Will a good set of mucks work? I have a set of insulated wetlands that go almost to my knees. I need to keep everything on a budget

Boots would depend on the terrain you're going to be hunting. Also depends on the type of hunting. Are you planning on covering some miles on foot, or riding around on an ATV. Backpacking the game you kill or hauling the weight on an ATV. Which is why I was wondering why your Alaska contact couldn't provide better information.

Upland hunting with significant hiking / backpacking and having to haul your gear and game on your back, I'd prefer a good fitting leather boot / gore tex lined, over the Muck boots.

If you'll be riding more than hiking then the Muck boot style may be good enough. The Muck boots won't support your ankles when carrying a load near as well as a good set of good fitting 10" leather hiking boots.

Ask your partner what he wears for boots if he's any kind of hunter at all. He should have a better clue than anyone else. Moose, caribou, and bear can be hunted and found in the lower lying land an on the hillsides/uplands.

I wear Muck boots if I'm not walking much, riding in a boat, on an ATV, and hanging around base camp. They're comfortable and warm boots. Walk in them much and you'll likely prefer leathers.

98% of my hunting is backpack hunting in the uplands/mountains, so I wear Lowa Sheep Hunters or similar 98% of the time I'm hunting sheep, caribou, black, grizzly, or brown bear. Isn't any elk up in the area you identified as your hunting location. I presume you could hunt/kill moose, caribou, black, or more likely grizzly bears up there. Grizzly requires the services of a registered hunting guide, or an Alaskan resident relative within first degree of kindrid relationship. So unless you're hunting with a brother, sister, mother, or father, you'd need a guide for grizzly hunting - to be legal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.