Wyoming DIY Hunt

I went down to Wyoming for Antelope, drew a tag 1st try went to an area reccomended by a stranger, found a motel scouted 1 day filled 2 tags next day. When trying to get info from locals first response every time was "you dont have antelope in Montana?" noted by my plates. I seen public roads to public land locked, I heard Game wardens really like to cite nonresidents. Do not think of going without a good gps with landownership info!

seems every state has a NOT WECOME saying from locales! now many don't know but non-res.hunters bring along money's that help local eaterys,fuel,motels,tolls,high license fees,entry permits etc. maybe its that we non-res. take more interest in our hunting success than locals who ride the road looking for a easy bag on game! a exception is the state of Maine. I have over 40+seasons deer hunting the big woods up there as open hunting lands were plentiful. even large land owners welcome hunters if asked properly! we sportsmen should be more united with todays trend against hunting&firearms!! Dskiper

Antelope took a serious hit in Wyoming the past three years, with disease and drought. Many areas that used to have abundant populations are now nearly void of antelope, thus the reason for WG&F reducing antelope tags by 4000 this year and more cuts anticipated for next season.

Antelope took a serious hit in Wyoming the past three years, with disease and drought. Many areas that used to have abundant populations are now nearly void of antelope, thus the reason for WG&F reducing antelope tags by 4000 this year and more cuts anticipated for next season.
Dude!!!!.....you just messed me up huge! Now I need to geek out and do a bunch of checking. We have not gone for three years to build points to hunt a bigger buck unit. This was the year we almost for sure would have drawn. Ugh....now my coffee is not helping me stay focused. Thanks, because I was getting my pennies organized since we need to apply in a few months.

All these were taken in Wyoming on public land DIY. The first two from 2015 was our first time ever hunting out west. I directed a couple friends of mine to the same area this season and they both tagged bucks on day two of their hunt. PM me for info and I'll be glad to help you out.

Attachments

• 2015 Buck Antelope.jpg
    2015 Buck Antelope.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Bud's 2015 Buck Antelope.jpg
    Bud's 2015 Buck Antelope.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 18
  • Mom's 2017 Antelope.jpg
    Mom's 2017 Antelope.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 15
  • My 2017 Antelope.jpg
    My 2017 Antelope.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Chels' 2017 Antelope.jpg
    Chels' 2017 Antelope.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Dude!!!!.....you just messed me up huge! Now I need to geek out and do a bunch of checking. We have not gone for three years to build points to hunt a bigger buck unit. This was the year we almost for sure would have drawn. Ugh....now my coffee is not helping me stay focused. Thanks, because I was getting my pennies organized since we need to apply in a few months.
The die off has been regional. Some regions took serious hits, while some were not as bad.
My advise would be to call biologists in the areas you are considering in order to help narrow down where you want to burn points. There are areas I have filled four tags every season that have almost no pronghorns now.

The die off has been regional. Some regions took serious hits, while some were not as bad.
My advise would be to call biologists in the areas you are considering in order to help narrow down where you want to burn points. There are areas I have filled four tags every season that have almost no pronghorns now.
HHAHAHAHAHAH....YOU SPUN ME UP...CALLED MY KID, COUSIN, AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR THE BIO ALREADY. INTERNET CLAIMS OF NUMBERS ARE NOT TOO BAD IN THE AREA.....THE TAGS THEY CHOPPED WAS FOR DOE. Bummer because we like to get 2-3 because they are small and are DELICIOUS!!

HHAHAHAHAHAH....YOU SPUN ME UP...CALLED MY KID, COUSIN, AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR THE BIO ALREADY. INTERNET CLAIMS OF NUMBERS ARE NOT TOO BAD IN THE AREA.....THE TAGS THEY CHOPPED WAS FOR DOE. Bummer because we like to get 2-3 because they are small and are DELICIOUS!!
No, they cut all antelope tags in affected areas. I live here in WY. Not sure what area you are referring to, but many areas got hammered.

And yes, they are our favorite large game meat. Good stuff.

Hopefully you guys find an area with good numbers and get your huntaccomplished with success. Some areas faired better than others. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
A local lives there. A native has had their roots there for generations. That being said, the only true "locals" had their land stolen from them. So no white man is a true local if they want to stand on a high horse.

Agree! I have a friend who grew up in a small ranching town in remote eastern Oregon. After college he took 10 years off and worked around the world. Then he decided to settle back at home and live the clean life of his youth. He settled down and left after 3 years due to the small mindedness, which he never noticed beforehand. I asked him why and he simply sent me a news paper clipping of a recent obit.
It went something like this 'In !903 Buster McGee moved to Baker at the young age of 14 from New Mexico. He will be well remembered as the founder of our local 4H, the rotary club and junior rodeo club during his 83 years in our valley. Even though he was not a local he will always have a special place in our hearts as an instrumental force in the positive growth of our community'

Last edited: