Airline travel with rifle FAA case

middleofnowhere

What works and what doesn't?

Is using a short case like like a Pelican 1700 an option if it's OK to remove stock from action?

Someone I used to know used a golf club case and swore by it, I don't remember what it was.

Thanks

It's a good idea to check with the airline and see what their specific policies are, but generally speaking any case that locks will probably be acceptable. Then it's up to you to find something that you think provides an adequate level of protection. I've been happy with this one, but there are a lot of good options out there: http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/boyt-tactical-h-series-single-rifle-case?cmCat=CROSSSELL_INDEX_SH_HZ1

I know some people like to use golf club or guitar cases, and I think that's fine as long as they can be locked and you can ensure that the gun is adequately protected. I think as long as the case isn't longer than 62" you won't have to worry about oversize baggage fees.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.