Rifle Case for airlines

the blur

I have an existing rifle case that I use for air travel. It's pretty well beat up after 3 trips. Any recommendations out there ? Something that will protect the scope nicely, and something not too heavy..

I've been looking at SKB rifle cases, and Pelican. They are HEAVY !! 25 lbs just for the case. I feel that is totally ludicrous. IMO, weight is the most important factor, especially when traveling through an airport, or whatever...

Weight might be important, but if you've seen how baggage is handled, you will understand the need for it! I am convinced fragile stickers make them want to throw a case around even more.

Pelican cases have a very good reputation for sealing and theft resistance. I read a comparison a few years ago before buying my first Pelican 1750. The only bad thing they could say about it was that it was possible to use a crowbar to open up the middle by the handle to pull something small out. Pelican addressed this criticism--my 2nd 1750 that I bought this year has 4 places for padlocks, instead of 2.

-David

Great Black Friday Deal on a great case at Midway right now. These things are built well and will last!

Pelican 1750 Scoped Rifle Case Wheels Polymer

Hope it helps,
lv2hunt

I absolutely agree that this case is an excellent choice for air travel. Mine has proven to do the job with protecting my rifle with rough air/land travel for 8 years...may have some scuffs but it is as solid as the day it was bought!

I really like the SKB 4909, it is pretty light for a hard case. I wish they had one that was a few inches longer and an inch taller, my largest rifles won't fit. Mine has mad several flights and done well.

I've been looking at SKB rifle cases, and Pelican. They are HEAVY !! 25 lbs just for the case. I feel that is totally ludicrous. IMO, weight is the most important factor, especially when traveling through an airport, or whatever...

lightbulbThat's why the heavy duty ones has wheels ... just like those 50 lbs luggages that people haul when they travel!lightbulb

I am retired from the airline industry. I have put my hands on more gun cases with rifles and shotguns than I care to think about. I like heavy duty aluminum cases. They can be bent but they don't crack. The heavier the better. Weight keeps them from being able to throw them to far. Plastic cases or molded cases can spilt from being ran over from equipment at airports. It does happen from time to time. Just remember to make sure your rifles are insure for what you have in them. The airlines have a cap on what they will pay per bag. I have seen a lot of hunts ruined for stupid reasons. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks
Rusty

Pelican with 4 locking points has been my choice for durability and security. I also have an All American Aluminum case that has a ton of airline miles with no problems but don't use it since purchasing the Pelican... Surprised the baggage handlers union allows either of them. Ha!

thanks for sharing your experience !
It makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to save my 1750 for over land travel. Once I was actually told it wasn't airline safe by an airline agent. She said I should run over to gander mountain for an appropriate case!

I am retired from the airline industry. I have put my hands on more gun cases with rifles and shotguns than I care to think about. I like heavy duty aluminum cases. They can be bent but they don't crack. The heavier the better. Weight keeps them from being able to throw them to far. Plastic cases or molded cases can spilt from being ran over from equipment at airports. It does happen from time to time. Just remember to make sure your rifles are insure for what you have in them. The airlines have a cap on what they will pay per bag. I have seen a lot of hunts ruined for stupid reasons. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks
Rusty

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.