Airline Rifle Case?

lhedrick1

Whats the "go to" airline case these days? Will be flying to Africa so in need of something really high quality. Pelican? SKB? I don't think Americase is making rifles cases anymore.....

Thanks

My SKB held up from the airline gorillas handling baggage. The outside looks a bit beaten up, but the contents are always fine. It's about 15 years old and possibly better made.

We have SKB's. Bought them for Colorado and my dad ended up driving so do not know how they actually do. From all the reviews I have ready they holdup just fine. We will find out come November when we head to Montana

Whats the "go to" airline case these days? Will be flying to Africa so in need of something really high quality. Pelican? SKB? I don't think Americase is making rifles cases anymore.....

Thanks
I have one of the original Americase for 4 rifles that I don't know what I'll ever do with at this point. Built like a tank and Heavy. I have an SKB that is solid and a bit under oversized on airlines. I would trust it. I just picked up a Seahorse that I think is at least as good as the SKB, slightly better sized and should still "pass" as not oversized, weights similar and I like some of the features better. Pelicans are a bit heavier than those two unless you get the light version. I have heard some horror stories on the new light Pelicans and refusals on warranty coverage. I'll have to find the links. All the reports on SKB support has been stellar. To keep under oversized and the 50lb weight will take some creativity.

I can post up some photos of the three I have later if that helps you out any. I have been through what you are struggling with (and still am to some degree). At this point I have resigned myself to removing the rifles from he stocks for travel to keep them under the limits. I haven't explored what international travel adds to that yet.

SKB had the reputation for being a premium case long before Pelican arrived on the scene. Haliburton cases were also among the best, but they had (have?) a tendency to be easily cosmetically damaged while still performing theiy're primary function of protecting theiy're contents.
I'd say any one of the three would serve you well.

SKB double with rollers was awesome to move around. Held up great even when Delta lost it for 12 hours🤬. 100 phone calls up the chain of command to a regional VP who then had the airport searched room by room. Found it in a security room that someone "forgot" to scan where it was. SKB was fully locked and rifle was protected well.