Advice, or talk some sense into me please

Looking around online, I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision. 7mag brass is everywhere, but I've never had as much trouble finding brass before as I am currently in my search for .300wm.

What gives?

Looking around online, I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision. 7mag brass is everywhere, but I've never had as much trouble finding brass before as I am currently in my search for .300wm.

What gives?

Popularity can often times come at a price... Which is why I love the obscure cartridges. :cool:

I think in this whole thread I was the only one who suggested the 7mm RemMag, other than you. 7mmRM can do anything the .300WM can do...But the supporters will rarely admit that on paper, running ballistics with equal weight-for-caliber bullets, they are virtually twins. The only thing that hinders the 7mm RemMag is factory twists are usually 9.25, 9.5, or 10" twists...Which limits the bullet weights. Most 9.25" twists can still handle a Berger 180 Hybrid at higher velocities to produce good accuracy and marginal stability. But the 9.5-10" twists wil limit you to a max of 168gr bullets.

If standard twist would be 1:9, then you would have no problems stabilizing 180's at all. And if you had a 1:8 twist, you would be able to shoot the new Berger 195 Elite Hunters (which are ballistically superior to any currently offered mass-production .30 caliber bullets on the market).

We remodeled our kitchen over the summer- my only stipulation was that I got to use the card that earns store credit on everything we bought. So, I didn't have to spend anything...the $ spent on the kitchen remodel was for the sole purpose of making the boss happy, and the store credit I got from it was just gravy! :D

I've used that excuse before but my wife knows better. :rolleyes:

What gives?

End-users need to factor that into their decision; it boils down the personal choice and application(s) ... PERIOD. I still see .300 WM brass, mostly Winchesters, in my LGS. If you look hard enough, you'll see them online too, depending on name brand, they might have to be back-ordered, i.e., http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1311343984/norma-reloading-brass-300-winchester-magnum

Hornady Reloading Brass 300 Winchester Mag Box of 50

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 300 Winchester Mag Box of 50

https://www.natchezss.com/nosler-custom-unprimed-brass-cartridge-cases-50-count-107100.html

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....-winchester-mag-unprimed-rifle-brass-50-count

When you find the brand of brass that best works for you, get enough for the life of your barrel and then some.

I have pretty good "real world end results" (IMHO, the one that really counts) with all my .300 WMs but Jeff's (BROZ) post in his successful "real world" harvests is hard to beat ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Last edited:
Thanks! I used to use WW Super on my last 300wm, so I went ahead and back ordered some of those. I also bought 40 rounds of loaded Winchester ammo for barrel break in and will save those cases for use. I also went ahead and picked up some Nosler brass from Midway. More expensive, but I'm hoping the time savings in brass prep proves to be worth the extra price. I'll compare results with those and see if I want to stick with one over the other, and I'll set whatever I don't use aside for a rainy day.

I'm in no hurry, so waiting for some brass to become available isn't that big of a deal.

If you wish to move with the 'hipster' crowd....by all means you've got to move to the 6.5. If you want to move with the 'experienced crowd' of old foggies like me....stay with the .308 Win as it's all you'll need!

Thanks! I used to use WW Super on my last 300wm, so I went ahead and back ordered some of those. I also bought 40 rounds of loaded Winchester ammo for barrel break in and will save those cases for use. I also went ahead and picked up some Nosler brass from Midway. More expensive, but I'm hoping the time savings in brass prep proves to be worth the extra price. I'll compare results with those and see if I want to stick with one over the other, and I'll set whatever I don't use aside for a rainy day.

I'm in no hurry, so waiting for some brass to become available isn't that big of a deal.

That's the ticket!

If you wish to move with the 'hipster' crowd....by all means you've got to move to the 6.5. If you want to move with the 'experienced crowd' of old foggies like me....stay with the .308 Win as it's all you'll need!

The 6.5 was killing elephants in Africa nearly to the point of extinction BEFORE the 308 was even thought of.

The 6.5 was killing elephants in Africa nearly to the point of extinction BEFORE the 308 was even thought of.

He's referring to the 6.5 Creedmoor...And I have to agree with him. The Creedmoor is the hipster cartridge of the gun world. And in no world are hipsters cool, except to other hipsters... JMO.

He's referring to the 6.5 Creedmoor...And I have to agree with him. The Creedmoor is the hipster cartridge of the gun world. And in no world are hipsters cool, except to other hipsters... JMO.
Creed is a pretty good design for SA rigs.
Most HIP cartridges are HIP because some gun writer made them that way.
The Creed has a viable reason to exist in a SA world. I sure wouldn't build a LA for one, but with a mag limited SA it's a pretty smart design.
Of course if I had my druthers, the Creed would be a SS.

Creed is a pretty good design for SA rigs.
Most HIP cartridges are HIP because some gun writer made them that way.
The Creed has a viable reason to exist in a SA world. I sure wouldn't build a LA for one, but with a mag limited SA it's a pretty smart design.
Of course if I had my druthers, the Creed would be a SS.

Yes and no... Yes, to the only reason the popularity is because either, A) everyone wants to be a wannabe sniper so they buy/build rifles chambered for the same cartridges snipers use...Or B) because like you said, some gun writer said it was the 2nd coming of Jesus of rifle calibers.

I say no, because the 6.5 Creed only reinvented the wheel. The .260 Rem had been out for a couple decades before it, and still does everything better, except fitting in a SA with long heavy high-BC bullets out near the lands. That is the only advantage the Creed has over the .260 Rem.

You are also correct, the 6.5 SS should be mainstream. Phenomenal cartridge, as is the 7mm SS.

Yes and no... Yes, to the only reason the popularity is because either, A) everyone wants to be a wannabe sniper so they buy/build rifles chambered for the same cartridges snipers use...Or B) because like you said, some gun writer said it was the 2nd coming of Jesus of rifle calibers.

I say no, because the 6.5 Creed only reinvented the wheel. The .260 Rem had been out for a couple decades before it, and still does everything better, except fitting in a SA with long heavy high-BC bullets out near the lands. That is the only advantage the Creed has over the .260 Rem.

You are also correct, the 6.5 SS should be mainstream. Phenomenal cartridge, as is the 7mm SS.

Another place the Creed is going to shine is as a large 22. I have been eyeing it since it came out. I have built 22-243s, 223 WSSMs and 22-284s all of which are a little too much. The 22 Creed should be a great rig for 80gr+ VLD stuff in a mag and will last a little longer than my 22-284 did.

Another place the Creed is going to shine is as a large 22. I have been eyeing it since it came out. I have built 22-243s, 223 WSSMs and 22-284s all of which are a little too much. The 22 Creed should be a great rig for 80gr+ VLD stuff in a mag and will last a little longer than my 22-284 did.

I think a 24" heavy suppressed .22-250 AI 40º shooting Berger 90 VLD's would be a long range varmint machine... Or a .243 AI 40º using Berger 105 Hybrids or 115 VLD's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.