Stuck Brass need some advice please

222 Rem Mag, I put the die in my press upside down & used a metal rod just long enough to push the brass out of the die. And the expander ball was still in the case. Then I cut the case to remove the ball. Unfortunately it was NOT salvageable.
This is why I have several of the rebuild kits for them on hand. It's basically a neck expander ball, a few pins and a spring retainer for a case holder. The remover kit has been good to me so far too.

Now, that said, if you bring it to the hardware store with like $20, I'll bet you could get a tap, bit, bolt and washer/bushing stack to make a homemade version.
I have all that on hand. I found it quicker just to screw the die in the press upside down. And use the metal rod inside the case n pull handle.I will say it may not work on larger cases

RCBS stuck case remover...or make your own.
Drill case head with #7 drill and tap with 1/4 X20 tap. Use a socket that fits over the case and stops on the top of the press...insert tbe 1/4 " bolt with washer on head to cover hole in socket.
Thread into case head, and tighten bolt, turn bolt with wrench and pulls case out of die.
Many discount stores have a tap and tap drill in one package. Brass is soft so even substandard taps work, like harbor freight...but better quality is desiresble for use with other applications, plus makes the job easier. Stop by and I'll give ya a Greenfield 1/4" X 20 tap, and #7 drill... It's that easy.

I made my own stuck case remover at work on a Sunday collecting double time to boot. It's made out of 17-4 stainless and took a few hours to setup the cnc . Probably got 3 hours and about 30 bucks of materials into it not to mention my extra pay . Spend the twenty bucks or so and get one . Unless you're getting good money to make your own on shop scrap materials.

I've been reloading for over 45 years. For the quick fix, try the freezer trick orange1948 suggested. If you plan on doing a lot of reloading, get a stuck case remover: you never know when a case will get stuck, and that piece of equipment will save you time frustration in the long run.
If you have not had a stuck case in the Sizing Die, you do not reload enough :)

The pound-out stuck case removers should have a long hex nut with inside threads that when turned down against the die will extract the threaded expander/primer pin rod. This will allow the press to push out a stuck case from an upside-down die using a steel rod pushed into die with stuck case.

A trip to your local hardware store to buy a drill bit, tap (size match drill), washers, & bolt (size match tap) will work. Anybody out there who has used the Frankford Arsenal stuck case remover? As good as I am, I still ger stuck cases, like 2-3 1-2 per year.

Just guessing - using a big vise to squash a case head, the nail thru brass flash hole would prevent the case from being collapsed/formed into an elliptical shape with the ends of the ellipse jamming into the die making the extraction more difficult.

My last stuck cases happened using a Lee F/L 6mm CM die on once fired 6.5 CM cases, despite application of case lube.

Last edited:
Looks quicker than drill/tap methods.
Thanks for the advice
Luckily I've not had to test the method!
I use Hornady One Shot. Have been for 15yrs and never stuck a case in my RCBS or Redding dies.
45 degree angle spray at the cases in a loading block, turning the block so I hit all 4 sides, and get some in the case mouths. Easy peazy.

Ok here is the update..
Freezer over night went straight to the bench vise a pin punch 2 good hits the case slide out.
Yesterday I bent a pin punch trying the same thing so the cold in this case helped.
The case remover is on its way so it will be there for insurance for the next time I am sure there will be a next time.

Thanks to all for the info and responses