Advice on building 300WinMag???

BigDaddyKane

I'll keep it short and sweet. I like two different rifles but they both aren't "perfect." So the question is, should I just start from scratch and build the rifle I want, or buy the closest thing to it and just mod it.

For instance, I have narrowed down my choices to either the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 300WM, or the Remington Sendero SF II 300WM.

Here's the pros and cons of the rifles

SAVAGE​
PROS: Accustock & Accutrigger, Muzzle Brake, Adjustable Cheekpiece, only $800

CONS: The Accustock is still flexible at the fore end and the barrel is too narrow for my taste
SENDERO​
PROS: HS Precision stock is comfortable and ridgid, heavy-fluted barrel, X-Mark Pro trigger

CONS: No Muzzle Brake, high cost $1,150

I can pick up a Stevens LA 300WM for about $299, use the action and swap out everything else for about $600. I'd have the rifle I want (minus a muzzle brake), for about $900. Or, I can pick up the Sendero, and just add a muzzle brake and have no headache.

The truth is, I'm leaning towards the Savage 111 if it's getting good reviews. Despite the barrel and stock issues I have, I could always shoot it out, then swap out the parts I don't like down the road and still be plenty fine. But with the Sendero, I wouldn't have to change anything, except add a muzzle brake when budget allotted for it.

What are all your thoughts??????

Thanks,

T​

I am a huge savage fan so my vote is the 111. Except if it were me I would just find an older 111 or 110 in the caliber of your choice and shoot the hell out of it as you gather parts to build your own semi custom build with your own two hands. I am working on my 2nd semi custom gun now, in fact I just ordered the barrel about 20 minutes ago for it. If I were you I would shop around and find a good donor gun but dont pay anymore than $250 for it unless it has an accutrigger. You can do what you want but in my book there is no better feeling than shooting bug holes out as far as you want with a gun the that you put most of the work into yourself its very satisfying. Well that is my 2 cents good luck.

Jason

I'm on board with the Savage also. I have two Savages. One is the Mod 12 and the other is a MKII 22lr. Both shoot lights out. My Mod12 is highly modified now. I did a work up on it some where around here. I think with the action, B&C Medalist A2, SSS recoil lug, EGW Base, Weaver Rings, Vortex Viper stock, Stockade lift kit and bolt, Harris Bi-pod came out to the $1500 mark. But I spent a little more on the barrel and muzzle break. My barrel was $500 (Custom contour, threaded for break, threaded for action, and chambered) and the new break cost $159 made, timed and installed. I mounted the barrel my self, set the timing of the firing pin and length myself. I can easily change barrels and to what ever caliber I want off this one action. So that is why I prefer the Savage. I can do all the work my self.

There are a lot of guys that do the Stevens builds. They work great for builds. Stockade stocks make some really nice stocks for the long action Savage/Stevens. They shoot just as good, but you will need to do an aftermarket trigger if you want to have a nice trigger group on your rifle.

With the Remington, you may have to do some work to get it where you want. This also holds true for the Savage, but most everything you can do your self with the Savage. Timing and trigger work will need to be done by a gun smith on the Sendero. They get a lot of good reviews here though. I just like being able to spend my money other things than having to pay a smith to do the work. The 111 LRH should be a shooter.

Tank

Get the Sendero, add muzzle brake, if you want one, have trigger adjusted to your taste. Then go shoot and have fun. The simple route.
Even in your post you feel going with the Savage route it will be a headache. I'm not knocking Savage's, just like the simple route sometimes.

I'm a fan of the 112 series Savages. My brother in law just bought a 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag and it's a darling with being all stainless, it has the mid range Accutrigger (1.5-6lbs), heavy fluted barrel and pretty stock. That's EXACTLY what I'd get if I were wanting a 300 Win Mag. It was around $680 shipped, new. Beautiful gun.

I'm a fan of the 112 series Savages. My brother in law just bought a 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag and it's a darling with being all stainless, it has the mid range Accutrigger (1.5-6lbs), heavy fluted barrel and pretty stock. That's EXACTLY what I'd get if I were wanting a 300 Win Mag. It was around $680 shipped, new. Beautiful gun.

I don't even show the 112 Series on Savage's website, Only the 12BVSS, and it doesn't come in .300 win mag. Not to mention it MSRP's around $980. Which is more than the 111 that I was looking at.

LilTank & JRW,

Thanks for the input so far. I do like the ease of use with the Savage. It seems very "user friendly." What it boils down to is that even with changing the stock on the Savage, I'd still be ahead money than if I went with the Sendero. I do like the Sendero... a lot. But I think the money I save I could easily be put towards glass & reloading gear. Plus, almost every review I'm reading about the 111LRH 300WM says they are shooting .5 MOA out of the box. I really can't argue with that considering I'm not sure if I as a shooter can even do that consistently.

I think I'm going to buy the Savage, shoot the hell out of it, and maybe in a year or so make some mods.

Any other input? I'm all ears!

I bought a 300 Win Mag Sendaro a few years ago... not a bad rifle and I shot some elk and deer with it at fairly close range. Decided I wanted it to be more accurate beyond 200 yards and had it customized ... hart barrel, jewel trigger, tubs bolt, new scope, etc. It is a great rifle now and I am confident with it at long range... it was a good platform to customize. I killed a red stag and a ram with it this fall and 2 big bucks. I also bought my youngest son a new Savage 300 Win Mag last year and put a Nikon Monarch on it. I have to tell you that his rifle, after I broke it in properly, shot almost as well as my custom Sendaro! And, it cost much less... So, I would recommend that you buy the Savage... they make one heck of a rifle for the money!

I bought a 300 Win Mag Sendaro a few years ago... not a bad rifle and I shot some elk and deer with it at fairly close range. Decided I wanted it to be more accurate beyond 200 yards and had it customized ... hart barrel, jewel trigger, tubs bolt, new scope, etc. It is a great rifle now and I am confident with it at long range... it was a good platform to customize. I killed a red stag and a ram with it this fall and 2 big bucks. I also bought my youngest son a new Savage 300 Win Mag last year and put a Nikon Monarch on it. I have to tell you that his rifle, after I broke it in properly, shot almost as well as my custom Sendaro! And, it cost much less... So, I would recommend that you buy the Savage... they make one heck of a rifle for the money!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the honesty. I do really like the Sendero. But I think for the money I'd be saving (around $400), I could easily make some mods to it or use it for other things like glass or reloading. Do either of you have a muzzle brake on yours? Just curious about recoil...

I got the 300 win mag because I could use it for both elk and big deer... It does have a pretty good recoil, but I guess I am used to it... not really too much harder than my old 30-06. I have never been a fan of muzzle brakes... they are really loud and I don't think they reduce the recoil that much... but, it is your shoulder! BTW, I bought a Savage 25-06 this winter and just mounted a new 5x20 scope on it... I can hardly wait to get to the range and break it in... I want to use it for antelope this fall in Wyoming! I think you will like the Savage a lot... definitely a best buy for the bucks! (no pun intended)

I picked up a new Savage 112BVSS in 300WM last fall. Seems Savage did a limited production run of 112s. Cost was around $600. Great set up with a 26" fluted barrel. Only put 50 rounds threw it so far but with 180 nosler bts and full dose of RL22 = .5 MOA or less at better then 3100FPS.

Recoil is less with heavier laminate stock and no plan to put a muzzle break on it.

No complaints.

BT

Last edited:
I picked up a new Savage 112BVSS in 300WM last fall. Seems Savage did a limited production run of 112s. Cost was around $600. Great set up with a 26" fluted barrel. Only put 50 rounds threw it so far but with 180 nosler bts and full dose of RL22 = .5 MOA or less at better then 3100FPS.

No complaints.

BT

****. Sounds like it's a nice rig... too bad they didn't keep it around, I, unlike many, am a fan of the fluted barrels. Maybe I'll do some hunting for a used one as my platform for a build.

Big Daddy,

I am not really a muzzle break fan, I just dont like the brain piercing noise if you happen to forget your ear plugs and shoot it. So I choose to have a heavier gun. My sons gun that we finished first weights 14.6# loaded and is chambered in 7mm rm and it is a dream to shoot the recoils feels like a .243 maybe less. The gun that we are working on now is mine that is also chambered in 7mm rm and I am guessing it will weight in at about 15# loaded because I am going with a 2 inch longer barrel and a choate tactical stock which I love. In this long range game I dont concern myself with gun weight because we are not building them to pack for miles. We build them to have a rock solid shooting platform that we can setup on a high spot and test our skills and look for that trophy waaaaayyyyy oooooovvvvvver there. Besides having a heavy gun gives you that much more reason to stay in shape for hunting season.

The good thing is no matter which gun you choose remmy or savage you cant go wrong because they both are shooters. It really comes down to preference, I like to tinker and plan and tinker some more to make things just how I like them and that is why I choose the savage. That is also why I reload for all my guns as well I just like the feeling or being able to shape my own destiny.

Good luck and good shooting, Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts