.300winmag. to .300rum?

bednhm

I would like to rechamber a stevens model 200 in .300winmag. to .300rum just wanted to make sure this would work.
Thanks for any help.

I was told friday by a reputable gunsmith that a 300 win mag is a more effficient cartridge than the 300 ultra mag. He also stated that you couldn't possibly shoot accurate with remington ultra mag brass because it is "junk". I on the other hand have not seen a ultra mag yet that wasn't a stone cold killer and accurate to boot. I really don't care if it takes 93.5 grs. of retumbo to move a 220 smk 3150 compared to 77 grs. to move the same bullet 3000 fps, as long as it KILLS EVERY BIG BULL I POINT IT AT! You might want to do a little research about some of these subjects with somebody with more knowledge than me. Did you also know that a 338 lapua is accurate because it "looks like" a 6 PPC case, interesting huh!!

What is the rate of twist in your current barrel? The primary reason for choosing a 300 RUM over a 300 Win Mag would be to push the heavier bullets faster. If your current Stevens barrel cannot stabilize the heavier 210 - 240 grain bullets (requires a one in ten twist), then it may not make sense to incur the cost of the rebarrel; opening of the bolt face; and complete magazine change out on your Stevens. Just something else to consider.

Ballistically, your 300 Win Mag should be good out to 1000 yds. I would stay with the 300 Win Mag and practice until the barrel was shot out before making the change.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.