advice on 7 PRC receiver for build

Just came across you great site! I've built many sub moa long range rifles, and I am getting ready to build two 7PRC rifles. What I keep debating in my head is which receiver to build off of. I generally use flat bottom receivers that the recoil lug is not a second part of the receiver. Parker hale, Win mod 70, Sako, Mauser ect. I haven't built off an ruger 77, Tikka, howa or savage but are considering them. The big question is wether to open the bolt face on a standard long action or just go with a magnum receiver. I have a standard Savage 110, and a Sako finnbear magnum I could build on right now, but had other plans for them. I am going with a Douglas stainless fluted 24" heavy sporter barrel or maybe a 2 1/2 profile Shaw since they just added the 7prc chambering. I also would like to use a receiver that has readily availer aftermarket stuff - triggers, stocks, etc. I would really like to build one of them with a removable box mag. The other requirement is that I want to buy a rifle to take down (used gun show /pawn shop finds), verses a new receiver only. (i use the extra parts to build my nephews and family accurized dear and varmint rifles)

Any thoughts?

You're going to get advice/suggestions by the multitude and they will all hold some truth and validity. The only advice I care to give you is don't have any regrets. I have a great shooting custom, a great shooting factory rifle with 3/4 modifications that shoot great and an off the shelf rifle that shoots real good. All different actions, triggers, and barrels. Enjoy the process!

You're going to get advice/suggestions by the multitude and they will all hold some truth and validity. The only advice I care to give you is don't have any regrets. I have a great shooting custom, a great shooting factory rifle with 3/4 modifications that shoot great and an off the shelf rifle that shoots real good. All different actions, triggers, and barrels. Enjoy the process!

The only thing I will add to this is that you shouldn't equate how much you spend on it to how well it shoots. What I mean by that is that if you spend $4000 on the build and end up with a rifle that shoots 0.75MOA, don't be overly disappointed because you also have a factory rifle that does that. Be content with the fact that you have a great shooting rifle that has everything YOU wanted on it, rather than a rifle manufacturers idea of what is best.
If you can't make peace with yourself on that, custom builds are not for you.

Now, if you get the whole thing together and it won't print anything less than 2MOA, then go ahead and be disappointed. But be realistic about why you are building.

And to answer your question, the easy button is buy a Tikka, strip it down, keep the action and trigger, sell the rest, buy a shouldered prefit from one of the many people that provide them (Preferred Barrel Blanks, Unknown Munitions, and PVA are my recommendations), get a Rokstok from Unknown or a Stocky's VG from Stocky's, bottom metal from HCA or Mountain Tactical, magazine from either of those as well, rings from Unknown, and decent scope and you will have a great build.

You'd be money ahead buying a nice custom action like an Origin, Coup De Grace, NBK, etc and a proof CF prefit and have a better action and a pile of parts that you can bolt together yourself in about 10 minutes. When the barrel is toast buy a new one spin the old one off and the new one on.

Thanks so much for all the input. I don't equate money with performance. I was first taught how to build sub moa rifles with what most people would call junk parts , Turk Mausers etc if you found ourself in a country where nml means to a firearm aren't possible and needed a precision rifle…. I built a sub moa 6.5 Swede on a bet with my brother for under $350.

I really like the tikka idea, are you saying buy a magnum or standard and open the bolt face? My only issue with tikka actions are the ejection port is smaller than most. Not sure if that's a real concern or not.

I'll look into the custom actions, but they may be way above the price point I'm try to hit with is under 1000. ( I'm not selling, the two guns are for my brother and me)

I think better to go with a magnum action after listening to the hornady podcast on the creation of the 7mmPRC. Plus it's a pain to open up a boltface. What do you guys think??

If the number of choices of aftermarket parts is important, a Rem 700 or clone is an easy choice.
I'm in the model 70 camp over the rem700, the separate recoil lug, and the round bottom receiver, I just don't think it is good of a receiver…… but I know plenty of guys that would debate and argue otherwise

I used to use the Adams and Bennett barrels all the time, I would reface them and whatever receiver on the lathe screw them together and get great performance out to 800 meters. So I'm not totally sold on expensive custom barrels, do you guys think it's worth the money, one barrel maker over another? Shaw has kinda become "pseudocustom" in my opinion but they are cheaper.

When I worked for the government the long range cal. Used was 7mm Rem mag, I built one as a trunk gun, Parker hale reciever douglas barrel and the Douglas people were great to work with, I called talked to the machinist who actually did the work on it , and for an extra $150 to him, threaded it and put a Vias muzzle break on the barrel.

Is the magnum mag box going to be long enough in the plain model 70 mags to allow maximum COAL without modifications to the receiver to feed and function from a detachable mag box.

Tikka would be my 1st choice, then a 700. Tikka is going to the Lego version of the two, also you pretty much know what you are going to get action and trigger wise.

Just came across you great site! I've built many sub moa long range rifles, and I am getting ready to build two 7PRC rifles. What I keep debating in my head is which receiver to build off of. I generally use flat bottom receivers that the recoil lug is not a second part of the receiver. Parker hale, Win mod 70, Sako, Mauser ect. I haven't built off an ruger 77, Tikka, howa or savage but are considering them. The big question is wether to open the bolt face on a standard long action or just go with a magnum receiver. I have a standard Savage 110, and a Sako finnbear magnum I could build on right now, but had other plans for them. I am going with a Douglas stainless fluted 24" heavy sporter barrel or maybe a 2 1/2 profile Shaw since they just added the 7prc chambering. I also would like to use a receiver that has readily availer aftermarket stuff - triggers, stocks, etc. I would really like to build one of them with a removable box mag. The other requirement is that I want to buy a rifle to take down (used gun show /pawn shop finds), verses a new receiver only. (i use the extra parts to build my nephews and family accurized dear and varmint rifles)

Any thoughts?
If your goal is a semi-custom/budget build/DIY, go for it.

If you want a full custom 7 PRC that will be a shooter, an @Alex Wheeler build rifle is your easy button.

I'm in the same boat as you, sort of, building a 7 PRC anyway. I'm building off of an NBK with Proof prefit and am slowly compiling parts. I built a 6.5 PRC off of same components and was so blown away by it that I'm replacing my semi-custom 300 RUM that shoots ok, but doesn't have a brake and I'm getting to the age where recoil isn't fun anymore... Was going to go with a 300 PRC, but looking more into the 7 has changed my mind...

As already said, for the aftermarket options, Rem 700 or clones are easiest.
I have built multiple customs off Rem and Savage actions.
Use a magnum bolt face. You'll find a RUM repeater will suit your needs best.

Thanks so much for all the input. I don't equate money with performance. I was first taught how to build sub moa rifles with what most people would call junk parts , Turk Mausers etc if you found ourself in a country where nml means to a firearm aren't possible and needed a precision rifle…. I built a sub moa 6.5 Swede on a bet with my brother for under $350.

I really like the tikka idea, are you saying buy a magnum or standard and open the bolt face? My only issue with tikka actions are the ejection port is smaller than most. Not sure if that's a real concern or not.

I'll look into the custom actions, but they may be way above the price point I'm try to hit with is under 1000. ( I'm not selling, the two guns are for my brother and me)

I think better to go with a magnum action after listening to the hornady podcast on the creation of the 7mmPRC. Plus it's a pain to open up a boltface. What do you guys think??
Just built a 7 PRC on a Tikka action with a magnum bolt face. Installed a Carbon 6 24 in barrel on it. Mesa stock . Shot it yesterday for the first time. Shows a lot of potential. The action is very smooth and it feeds great.

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 24