Tikka 7 PRC Build

Brad Quarnberg

So here's the Tikka build I finish last week and finally got to shoot Friday.
Donor was new (safe queen) 7mm Remington Mag ($709)
Barrel is a Preferred Barrel Blanks 22" Hybrid Lite/.750 5R 1:8 Stainless Steel Pre-fit threaded 5/8x24 hand lapped barrel.
Mesa Stock - which the Hybrid barrel fits in without any work, and I already had on hand
It has a tuner break on the end for now (didn't adjust it at all -set at zero)), but I ordered the shorter barrel so I can hunt with a can (Silencer Co Omega 300) that I already have, just waiting on another ASR mount for this gun.
Lightened the factory trigger to 2.5 pounds which is what I like for my hunting guns.
Original 7mm Rem Mag Tikka Magazine - rounds fit nicely and feed perfectly but there isn't a lot of room to extend the round

Only shot factory Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-X to sight in, break in the barrel and get some chronograph numbers. I'll be handloading eventually, but for now, just shooting factory ammo. The group pictured is 3 shots at 100yards which ran - 2805fps, 2795fps and 2805fps. They were the last three in the first box of ammo so it's got 20 rounds down the barrel. box says they should run 3000fps at the muzzle, so what I'm getting in the shorter barrel, before barrel speed up (If I get any) I'm pretty happy with. Since this will primarily be a deer gun, and I don't plan on shooting at a critter more than 400/500 yards, it will do very nicely.

I loved working with Preferred on the barrel. They were responsive, the product showed up very nicely packaged, and since it was an in-stock barrel it was quickly delivered.

The last picture is the original barrel. The gun was new, never fired (outside the factory) and soaked in Kroil Oil for a week. The glue Tikka uses on the threads is no joke.

Now that I have this under my belt, I am putting together the list of parts for a full custom build in 300 WSM. I love the round and have have great success with getting it to shoot accurately (currently own a Win Model 70 Coyote Outback CRF that stacks 190gr ABLR's in one hole at 100yards and the 210gr ABLRs in a slightly larger ragged hole.
Love the Winchester, and will probably keep it for sentimental reasons, but looking forward to building one from scratch.

Attachments

• Tikka 7 PRC Right Side.jpg
    Tikka 7 PRC Right Side.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 460
  • 100 yard target.jpg
    100 yard target.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 431
  • Tikka original barrel.jpg
    Tikka original barrel.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 421
Did you weigh the barrel by chance before threading it on?
I didn't - honestly to excited to have it in my hands. I can tell you it didn't feel much different than the original sporter barrel. I know if you shoot Preferred an email they'll tell you what one would weight. They were always quick to reply to my emails so I'm sure they could give you the weight if you asked.

any way we can get a close up of the barrel flare at the end?

Also maybe a quick measurement of skinniest part and thickness of shoulder for 5/8-24?

The hybrid lite/.750 is ,750 at the end of the barrel shoulder/thread junction.
Not sure about barrel flare-its pretty much tapers from the receiver to .750 and carries that to the shoulder where the 5/8x24 threads begin.
When I get my ASR, I'll take some pictures of the end of the barrel/threads so you can see it, but I don't want to remove/re-install the tuner until I get the ASR which I'm hoping is this week.
Hopefully that answers your question but if not, let me know and I'll try again.

Awesome thanks.

I was reading in a few spots that they do a thin "like factory" profile (0.625 ish) and then flare it to .75" at the end. I thought that was what they were labeling the "hybrid".

Reason for the questions. Sounds like that may be something different

Awesome thanks.

I was reading in a few spots that they do a thin "like factory" profile (0.625 ish) and then flare it to .75" at the end. I thought that was what they were labeling the "hybrid".

Reason for the questions. Sounds like that may be something different
Here's the profile of the barrel that they sent me when I was considering it for the build.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Barrel Profile.jpg
    Barrel Profile.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 81

Recent Posts