Adding sights for 12 ga single shot slug shooter....

preventec47

I have an H&R single shot 12ga and I only enjoy shooting slugs from it. It only has a front bead sight and I have an idea for adding precision sights without drilling screw holes in the barrel and weakening it. I bought some rings that fit over and tighten on the barrel ahead of the stock that effectively attaches weaver scope mounts and they are mostly used to add flashlights to the bottom
of the barrel for self defense shooting. My idea is to rotate the weaver scope mounts to the top and
try to attach some kind of RED DOT sight to them so that they would be in a typical SCOUT SCOPE location. I have never used a red dot sight so My question is, IF red dot scopes are mounted far forward in the Scout Scope location would they work well? IT seems to me that if red dot scopes are mounted on pistols that are held at arms length...... That the distance to the eye would be similar and should work reasonably well. Keep in mind this will be a smooth bore 12 ga gun and I think I would be lucky to group shots in a 12 inch circle at 50 yards. Or does anybody think I might be able to do better ? Or maybe as good as black powder guys do with muzzle loaders and balls.

I have an H&R single shot 12ga and I only enjoy shooting slugs from it. It only has a front bead sight and I have an idea for adding precision sights without drilling screw holes in the barrel and weakening it. I bought some rings that fit over and tighten on the barrel ahead of the stock that effectively attaches weaver scope mounts and they are mostly used to add flashlights to the bottom
of the barrel for self defense shooting. My idea is to rotate the weaver scope mounts to the top and
try to attach some kind of RED DOT sight to them so that they would be in a typical SCOUT SCOPE location. I have never used a red dot sight so My question is, IF red dot scopes are mounted far forward in the Scout Scope location would they work well? IT seems to me that if red dot scopes are mounted on pistols that are held at arms length...... That the distance to the eye would be similar and should work reasonably well. Keep in mind this will be a smooth bore 12 ga gun and I think I would be lucky to group shots in a 12 inch circle at 50 yards. Or does anybody think I might be able to do better ? Or maybe as good as black powder guys do with muzzle loaders and balls.
I fashioned a rear sight on a old 20g with gray epoxy putty. Files to shape easy and has been solid for 20+ years. Give it enough surface to bond it should work for really cheap.

A red dot will work quite well mounted forward. Your main concern will be tw small field of view for finding the dot. On a shotgun, this will be less of an issue.

I would be concerned as to how well the clamps will hold zero under that much recoil.

To check the viability of the red dot, I would mount the gun (unloaded) and measure from your eye to the location on the barrel you want to mount the red dot. They hold your red dot out at that same distance (or go to a store and look at several of them) and see if VOF and clarity is what you are wanting.

I had an old, worthless 12 gauge I used for the same purpose. (Though not recommended) I did drill & tap mine & I mounted the cheapest Traditions red dot I could find. Though it kicks like a rabid mule the Traditions zero has held just fine. Good luck!