Single shot ?

TNfireball

Hello I'm in need of some advise ! I'm working ups load for my STW with burger vlds I followed the sweet shot directions to the letter and found the "spot " and it shoots awesome! The problem is the round is waaaaaay too long for the factory magazine !Any suggestions ??gun)

TN, perhaps try a few at mag length. Some have found accuracy at mag length. You didn't mention any specifics of the rifle like if it's a custom, barrel length, twist rate and bullet size.

How's it shoot with ammo loaded to magazine length? Good enough?

On the other hand I sometimes hunt with a single shot Ruger Number One, and have also hunted very successfully with a traditional muzzle loader. Those are both real single shot rifles, and the muzzle loader was quite slow to reload...

So, if you must shoot the too-long cartridges, and it makes your rifle into a single shot, that's not the end of the world.

Regards, Guy

I assume the reason you are concerned about the single shot issue is that this is a hunting rifle and lack of follow up shots. Like the others have advise. How does it shot with mag length ammo? And even if it doesn't shot good enough to suit you at mag length with some practice you will become pretty profiecent. Just my 2 cents worth. Have fun and be safe.

my main hunting is a single shot. Its a 6.5 SAUM. Took a couple animals this year in the 300 yd range. I just don't mind a single shot for most stuff. DG rifle, or a brush type rifle, different story. My moose rifle is a repeater. But if you are mainly prone, longer to longish, single shot is fine, IMO

I have on of those 2-round ammo holders on side of stock. For the ounce counters, easy way to shave a couple too lol

Hello I'm in need of some advise ! I'm working ups load for my STW with burger vlds I followed the sweet shot directions to the letter and found the "spot " and it shoots awesome! The problem is the round is waaaaaay too long for the factory magazine !Any suggestions ??gun)
If they won't shoot well for you at mag length find another bullet that will.

At STW velocities the VLD's are way, way too explosive for me and I will not shoot them at game animals.

If you want for some reason to stick with Bergers try the Elite Hunter or Classic Hunter but I think there are much better hunting bullets out there.

Wild rose
Have you shot any game with a VLD? I have shot them in 300 weatherby 257 weatherby 240 weatherby and 6.5-300 weatherby at velocities from 3300 to 3600 and as close as 50 yards.

If it shoots REALLY well then just load it single shot with follow up shots at mag length. Thats what I would do unless the shorter cartridges really shoot poorly or have crazy poi poa stuff going on.

Otherwise, try some different lengths and see what happens. Their hybrid bullets in 30 cal are awesome, but I have not used any in 7mm. Perhaps they are worth a look.

Depending on your setup, it would depend on coal, you might look at having a Wyatt's extended box installed. Otherwise, I agree that you can usually find another node, compatible with magazine length. If not, work up a load with a tangent ogive hunting bullet, that fits your magazine, for follow-up shots.

Wild rose
Have you shot any game with a VLD? I have shot them in 300 weatherby 257 weatherby 240 weatherby and 6.5-300 weatherby at velocities from 3300 to 3600 and as close as 50 yards.
I have in the past and found them too explosive at close range and too unpredictable at longer ranges. I just find there are much better choices available.

I like the VLD's because 99% of all the deer, bear and elk have fell where they stood. What are your thoughts on the best bullets? We all have experienced certain ammunition they give us confidence and those that failed. I know I might get some feedback on this, but I have had complete failure with Nosler partition where it blew up on the shoulder of a 150 lb whitetail in a 30-06 at 2700 fps with 180 grain. Later that day my neighbor shot that same deer so I know it happened. It's a shame because up till then they were all I used. My brother experienced the partition fail in the same manner in a 300 weatherby with 150 grain. Two other brothers use nothing but partitions.
We have agreed to disagree on this subject. Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor had an argument on the 270 and 338 and both were either right or wrong.

Hello I'm in need of some advise !......Any suggestions ??gun)

Nothing wrong with the Barney Fife practice of "one bullet".....I have one rifle (.300WinMag) that is a single shot so no option there but as I thought about my other "sticks", I shoot them the same way. I keep a cartridge holder with 5 to 9 bullets on the butt stock but it's "insurance" that I don't need and rarely use.
I load my .270 Allen Mag with 170gn Bergers and they are way too long for the magazine but one shot with this thing and the hunt's over. Same way with that 7STW, I would imagine. (They lay down and wait for you to get there!)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I say shoot it to its potential and don't try to put mud tires on a corvette. Drive it like you stole it! JohnnyK :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.