Accurizing question

Thor

Just got 2 new Savage 111's in 270 Win and 300 Win Mag. Both have the laminated grey/black stock and AccuTrigger. 270 will be med range deer gun. 300 WM will be a Long Range Project. Got a few questions:

Looking for any opinions of the Savage laminated stocks?

Can I have the actions pillar bedded in the laminated stock with the factory barrel and later swap in a custom barrel without any problems?

I would think that would be fine since the barrel is free floating after the barrel nut. I realize that the factory stock would limit the barrel contour options without going to a new stock custom cut to the new barrel contour.

I may go to a custom stock in the future if there were issues with the factory laminate. I would swap to a custom barrel when I went with a custom stock.

I've never bedded a rifle before.... that just doesn't sound right. Is that something a Newbe can do or would I be better off sending it off to one of the guys on the site? (ie, Shawn, Kirby, any others?)

What would something like that cost? Don't know if either has a website to reference. Web search didn't reveal anything.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jace

Can I have the actions pillar bedded in the laminated stock with the factory barrel and later swap in a custom barrel without any problems?

Yes, pillars should not interfere with any future barrel changes, in fact several Savage models come with pillars.

I've never bedded a rifle before.... that just doesn't sound right. Is that something a Newbe can do or would I be better off sending it off to one of the guys on the site? (ie, Shawn, Kirby, any others)

Here's a link to Kirbys response when I asked the same question.http://http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/bedding-savage-11840/ I found it to be pretty helpful, followed the instructions and came away with a rifle that will put 3 in a nice little cloverleaf.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for that info.

Doing it myself may be more than I want to tackle knowing what my goals are for these two. Sent an email to Kirby. Hopefully, he will be able to help me out.

Jace

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.