"accurizing" vs rebarreling

el matador

I need to get my Remington 700 shooting a little better and I'm trying to weigh the options. I have pillar bedded it and worked up a ton of loads, still I can't get her shooting much better than 1". I'm sure the factory action and chamber are causing most of the problem so those are going to be squared up for sure...but how much of a difference will a new barrel make? If I have the original stuff blueprinted, rechambered and recrowned can I realistically expect .5 moa? The barrel only has about 200-300 rounds through it.

Most factory rifles can be improved by truing the action and setting the shoulder back and
re cutting/cleaning the chamber up.

It is a gamble but most of the time it pays off unless you are looking for 1/4 MOA then it is
wise to rebarrel with a top end barrel.

With custom barrels most of them are good performers. With factory barrels the opposite
is true, they are just ok.

Mose of the problems I have seen with factory rifles is poor fit,chambers, and stocks.

If the rifle shoots ok, chances are that this work will improve it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.