Accuracy Vs Speed...decisions!

Continue testing. Once you find out what they do a long range just remember, you can't miss fast enough. Accuracy should always win.

This was a 6.5 SAUM shooting on the slow end (3050). Someone should have told this ole boy that this should not have done him in. Lol

image.jpeg

I feel it is not a question of balancing speed vs accuracy but shooting accurate shots as fast as possible. To elaborate further, the goal is to take only the amount of time necessary to shoot a 0 down shot no more no less. Brian discusses this in length in his book and it wasn't until my last few major matches that I have really understood what he was talking about. In the past I would tell myself I want to be accurate and shoot as few points down as possible so I would get a perfect sight picture and release the trigger, which as it turns out is a huge waste of time on a lot of shots. Imagine a 5 yard open target and a 15 yard target partially covered with a no shoot. On the 5 yard target all that is needed is to see the front sight somewhere in the 0 zone and break the shot while the partial 15 yard target will require the classic sight picture. To test it out, in your next practice section setup targets at 5-7 yards and try different focuses, i.e. target focus, top strap focus, front sight focus, etc. See what is necessary for you to make the shot. Once you know what is needed for various types of shots you will then be able to trust yourself and your raw times will come down dramatically and there will be no loss in accuracy.
Beyond just the shooting there are a lot of ways to reduce your raw time, i.e reloads, movement, draws, setting up in a position, etc. Speeding those up will reduce your raw time and have no impact on accuracy. I think what happens is we tell ourselves we want to be accurate and as a result we slow everything down. We draw slower, we move from point a to b slower, we reload slower, etc, etc. A classic example is watch someone draw and shoot Stage 1 and Stage 2 on the classifiers and then watch the speed of their draw on stage 3. Most people will slow their draw down considerably on stage 3 relative to what they do on stage 1 and 2. I realize with a longer shot the time will naturally be slower but I am talking about how fast they go for the gun and get it out of the holster and on target. That time should be the same for every draw. If you ask those people what their last thought was they would say "slow down and get the points". I think the mindset of I most be accurate has the effect of slowing us down so you see results like what is being discussed here.

Consistency trumps velocity every time. It is very hard to pick an accurate load if it does not repeat, especially from a cold barrel, which is the only way I like to judge a hunting rifles potential.
BB

Try your fast load again with a cold barrel. You could try a little less powder if the groups are better then go that way. It sounded like that3200fps load was very close to max. If .2 or .1 grains of powders less is more accurate you know what to do. You are close now you just have to fiddle a little bit and both loads should be the same.

View attachment 132875 View attachment 132876 At a crossroads right now and wondering opinions. I'm in the process of working up a load for my 6.5-06AI for my buddy to use this year on a Wyoming Muley hunt. Since I live in Cali I already have a good non-lead load worked up. It's a little slower coming in at 3000fps and shooting consistently in the .3s.

For the WY load I'm focusing on Berger 135 hunting VLDs. Already found the seating depth and today I went out for speed. I'm using 4831sc, CCI 250s, and Norma brass. My last 2 out of 3 shots had a stiffer bolt and topped out at 3240fps (60 grns). 2 loads stood out the most. One 3 shot group at 3060 FPS (3068, 3058, 3057) at .200". Then I had another group .5 grns below the stiff bolt load at 3209fps (3211, 3209, 3207) at .493".

What do I go with solely for hunting? An extra 150fps equates to 10% more energy and 10% less drop at 1000yds. But I love one hole groups!
I would go with the 3060 but more groups are needed

Does anyone really truly believe any animal in the world will be able to tell the difference in accuracy? NOPE! So why in the hell would you choose a slightly smaller group but much slower load? If you wanna run Gaymoor velocities then cool, go get one of those...but that extra 150+ fps will be noticeable on downrange terminal performance.

Does anyone really truly believe any animal in the world will be able to tell the difference in accuracy? NOPE! So why in the hell would you choose a slightly smaller group but much slower load? If you wanna run Gaymoor velocities then cool, go get one of those...but that extra 150+ fps will be noticeable on downrange terminal performance.

A slower but more accurate load will allow you to place your shot more accurately this will have a much greater effect on the lethality than your misplaced quicker load, IMO
BB

DD70302C-4FFF-4B3B-AD9D-7C6ABFD5D126.jpeg
427E7314-5C19-4E2C-9ADE-380055CC11EA.jpeg
1ACC6B23-926D-4BEE-A70E-01B633C2190C.jpeg
I think it does better on a cold barrel. I have repeated my non-lead load multiple times right out of the gate. The one that has a little vertical (white target) was shot off a clean barrel. So I will try the faster off a cold barrel and we'll see what happens.

Literally the same thing can be said about velocity

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.