Accuracy suggestions: .308 Win Push Feed action with a Hart Barrel...

Alan R

#5, jewell trigger, .340 neck, 1" in 12" twist. From what I have been told, John Hart himself installed the barrel. The stock is an older style "70's" bench rest design. 100 yd. accuracy is in the low .2's using 168 gr. Hornady BTHP's, Win 748, Win brass and Fed 210M's. 300 yd. accuracy is MOA with same load at various seating depths. Using Winchester Match ammo, accuracy is sub MOA at 300 yds. Problem is (actually, my issue is..), my sporter weight and length '06 shoots sub MOA at 300...this .308 rig should put it to shame.

What bullet weight/design and powder combo do you all recommend for improved accuracy potential? I'd like to use it for 600 yd. shoots (informal, club sponsored).

Thanks,

Alan

Try 155gr Amax and lapua's as well. Just ensure that the runout is min. to zip. Odds are if the rifle is shooting so well at 100yds, it should maintain that at 300yds. maybe wind, maybe scope, maybe bouncing during recoil???

Keep tuning, I am sure that it will come together.

Jerry

Alan,

Welcome to LRH first of all!!

With your 1-12 barrel I would also recommend trying one of the 155 gr match bullets, A-Max or SMK.

Also, give the 150 gr Ballistic Tip a try. They may suprise you how well they shoot.

Is this a new rifle or a used? What velocity are you getting with the 168 gr load?

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the feedback and welcome –

Kirby - this rifle is used and on it's second barrel but the second barrel has hardly been shot. Unfortunately, the Win 748 load has not been chronied yet….I have access to a shooting tunnel and a good computer/chrony setup; I'll post my findings after the shooting session.

FYI…I tried using 165 gr. Nosler BT's with the same 748 charge as the Hornady 168 BTHP's…the groups opened up by an inch. I have plenty of 150's on hand so I will give them a whirl.

Alan

Shoot exactly the combo given IF it is shooting in the low .2s and you are going 600 yds.

Doubt very seriously you will find anything to beat it, some might match it but many will not. So why mess with a proven load?

At 600 yds, no need for 175s and the 168s and 155s should be more than adequate if you can get them shooting that good.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.