Accuracy .300wsm vs. .300 win mag

Chilly Willy

From everything I have seen and heard...the 300 WSM is a fantastic choice for the guy that buys factory ammo and shoots the 180's. The 300WM can out perform the 300 WSM in case capacity, and handloaded can be superior to the WSM even with heavier bullets (200's & 220's) Why did you not list the king of 300's, the Remington Ultra Mag? For what your takin' about I'd select that cartridge in a SF Sendaro any day of the year.

AirBorne

Several years back IIRC Ian McMurchy did an article on on exactly this issue.

The rifles used were both custom rifles, one (300 wsm) was from G-A Precision and the other (300 Win Mag) was a Tactical Ordnance.

Maybe someone has the old article.

I would bet that if you took 100 .300 WSM rifles and 100 .300 Win. mag. rifles, of the same model and shot 100 groups with each rifle - that the WSM average would be a tad better. Same deal, if you did that with the .308 vs the .30-06, the .308 will produce slightly better groups. Big deal. What relevance that has to killing an elk is about diddley.

They are both excellent cartridges. The WSM is capable of equalling the Win. mag with 180 grain factory ammo - both in velocity and accuracy.

Personally, I never used to have any use for the .300 Win. - until I bought one. I thought that if a person is going to shoot something called a magnum, then it had to have Weatherby on it to be a true magnum. That is wrong - you have to hit what you are aiming at with adequate killing energy, that is more important than who designed the cartridge.

Not sure that Remington chambers a .300 WSM yet, if you are stuck on Remington that might be a factor. I would not sell a Win mag to buy a WSM. But if I was looking for a new rifle in that performance area, I would consider one. Personally, I would buy a Win. mag. There are oodles of factory loads, the military has done all the drops and wind drifts, it is a very good cartridge. If you really want a WSM, disregard the previous sentence and go for it. Launching a 180 or 190 grain bullet at a similar velocity from either cartridge results in the same drops and drift.
The Ultamag and Weatherbys are the next notch up - not sure you need that. More performance but more $ to shoot, also a bit harder to hold onto.

Does anyone have any data on what the differnce is in group sizes. I can't decided between the two calibers and I keep hearing the trade offs of both. Talk aboiut confusing you even more. I want to hunt long distance Deer, Elk, Bear I also want to shoot metal targets at the range out to 1K. Sort of a dual purpose gun. It seems that 50/50 is the mix of feelings between these two. The .300 win mag can throw the heavier bullets better from what I am told. what would you do if you did not own either? Thanks in advance. I will be buying a Remington.
confused.gif

I have a 300WSM that spits the 190 gr SMK's at 2800+ with little or no pressure... that plenty for what you're after.

Deer to 1K
Elk to about 750
Black Bear to 750+

smaller groups really have more do do with the shooter and smith than the calibers you asking about both are accurate.
My 300WSM shoot 6-8" groups at 900 yards from the bi-pod

Ian M,
I agree with your theory on 100 rifles and 100 groups and so on. That's why so many BR shooters shoot short stubby little cartridges.

But I agree with Chilly Willy's statement, "The 300WM can out perform the 300 WSM in case capacity, and handloaded can be superior to the WSM even with heavier bullets (200's & 220's)."!

And I also agree with Ric Horst's statement that "smaller groups really have more to do with the shooter and smith"!

I believe both calibers are capable of supreme accuracy!

"The Chuckster"
smile.gif

I've been reading alot of posts over the last few days, and learning alot. I've just recently bought my first own high power. I got a Browning A-Bolt Medallion. .300 Win. Mag. BOSS. One of the questions I have is if it's nessasary to clean your barrel as often as some people have claimed. (every 2-3 shots).
Another is, do any of you have problems with the type of lead you're using. I was using a friends 7mm STW last year, and when it hit that deer it made a freakin' mess! I'm wondering if with the hitting power of the .300, if this should obviously be a concern. And do you recommend anything? Thanks.null

Airborne, In a factory rifle I like the sendero best. Others say the savage is a good value. I like the stock of the sendero and the savage synthetic stock is a little cheesy.

Since I think that the wsm or the wm is not a significant difference. I go with the sendero sf in 300 WM since they do not chamber for the wsm's.

Nathan, what do you mean messy?
I shot a mulie and lope last year with my 7STW using 140 XLC's and there was no mess, just quick kill. Another guy shot a mulie with a .243 with a ballistic tip and it was soup. Also his ran 50 yards while both my animals dropped in their tracks. It depends a lot upon the bullet. I personally don't care about frontal damage. How much jerky and crap can I eat? BTW...the accuracy of those xlc's sucks!

300WSM OR 300WIN MAG.-KINDA LIKE BLONDES OR BRUNETTES-ALL IN WHICH YOU PREFER. BUT LIKE SOMEONE SAID I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET A WSM IN A REMINGTON. I THINK EITHER BROWNING, SAVAGE OR WIN. MAKE THEM. FOR THE MONEY SAVAGE HAS AWESOME OUT OF THE BOX ACCURACY BUT YES THE STOCKS LEAVE SOMETHING TO BE DESIRED. NO MATTER WHICH ROAD YOU TAKE I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO WRONG.

I hit a muley at about 200 yards running, right through the boiler room, and that lead just exploded. Off the top of my head I can't remember what type of lead it was, but it left a mess that for sure. Other side front sholder all gone. Even got some in the hind quarter. That lead must have only retained about 30% I swear. Do you have thoughts on a lead that will keep up to 80-90% after impact?

Nathan, The barnes X bullets retain almost 100% of their weight.

Accuracy has always been a problem, but I hear good things about the TSX.

Personally, I now use 156 Cauterucio's for my 7 STW. Bob Cauterucio makes his own bullets and they are amazing. High BC. Great on game. I use his 7MM's but he also makes 6mm's and/or 6.5mm's.

I woudl definitely give the Barnes TSX bullets a try first.

Well if you are looking for a very accurate rifle I would take a look at a Remington Sendero in a 300 Win Mag. If you are planing on taking long shots the 300 Win Mag starts were the 300 shorty ends especialy with bullets 180gr and up (No offense to 300 shorty owners very nice cartridge) Volume is Volume and the 300 Win Mag has also set alot of records at 1000 yards over the years.

[ 05-16-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.