Accuracy from a progressive reloader

RockyRandy

So I have been bitten by the long range shooting bug big time and want to speed up my reloading time but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy in the process! Can I get competition accuracy from a progressive press? If I can what are you using and what little tricks are you doing to get it. I'm reloading for a 6.5 & 22 Creedmor. I am using right now a lyman 8 station press, V-3 auto trickler.

So I have been bitten by the long range shooting bug big time and want to speed up my reloading time but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy in the process! Can I get competition accuracy from a progressive press? If I can what are you using and what little tricks are you doing to get it. I'm reloading for a 6.5 & 22 Creedmor. I am using right now a lyman 8 station press, V-3 auto trickler.
I try and keep a wide powder charge for beat sd and es. But normally with are .2 grains and my seating depth is .002 consistency. I guess you have to see how well you can load on that press and see how it lines up with your expectations. If you are a competition shooter something like prs maybe you will be happy with 1moa or 3/4. But I would assume anything like benchrest you would not be happy.

I try and keep a wide powder charge for beat sd and es. But normally with are .2 grains and my seating depth is .002 consistency. I guess you have to see how well you can load on that press and see how it lines up with your expectations. If you are a competition shooter something like prs maybe you will be happy with 1moa or 3/4. But I would assume anything like benchrest you would not be happy.
I just shoot in my local competition group which is benchrest shooters, but yes I want 1/2" or less accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 18
I load 65 Creedmoor and 223 (occasionally 6BR) on Dillon 550s regularly. Key is finding a ball powder that flows through the Dillon powder drop. Have to do case prep on a separate 550 head or before the load process. New Staball 65 flows for 65CM. I use TAC for 223. I did load 6BR for a while on Dillon 550 with Acuurate 2520. Staball Match has potential for Varget alternative.

You can also use off press powder weighing and then use a funnel to drop powder for more powder accuracy. I find the Dillon powder drop to be +/- .1 grain accurate.

There is a youtube video of George Gardner of GA Precision loading 6GT on a Dillon 650.

Im not sure how they do it, but many top competition shooters use Dillon presses in their youtube videos. I would rather have a stiffer press like my MEC, but I think there is also the fact that almost nobody seats bullets on a progressive.

You just have to setup your press and measure your results. If cbtd varies too much, it is likely related to your anneal, lube or press stiffness.

Whidden makes floating die toolheads for Dillon machines, I use a 750XL myself. There's are several types of funnel adaptors so you can dump in powder from a separate measure and not have to use a bar thrower - one works with my Area 419 funnel kit. I don't charge on a progressive but will process brass on one. I shot with guys who use the powder funnel to drop in from a separate scale and seat long on the progressive, then bump the bullet to final length with an arbor press later.

Im not sure how they do it, but many top competition shooters use Dillon presses in their youtube videos.
Mainly by batch processing brass and not annealing, trimming, priming, charging, or seating on the progressive.

Cortina has (in the past at least, a video a couple years ago) done brass processing on his Dillon Auto Drive, but also has separate processes and machines for annealing, then uses a Giraud trimmer, Primal Rights CPS primer, Prometheus balance, and an AMP Press.

Last edited:
I still use my Lee 4 hole turret press for everything.
Taken a second & (2)3rd place finish in local short range benchrest (factory class).

My main competition is the president of the club.

HEY!!!
Wait a minute!!!
You don't think he would???!!! :oops:

Thanks guys for you feed back. It almost sound to me that I should just keep doing what I'm doing. I have no problem with hand dropping the powder charge, but if I have to finale seat the bullet I'm not sure I'm accomplishing anything other then dropping $1600 down the tube.

Last edited:
Wow we didn't think that a Progressive/Liberal reloader would be posting about Accuracy.
Great that you are coming over to the Conservative side in reloading 🤫 🤣