Looking for a Progressive

I have one each Dillon 550 & 650 and three 1050's. As others have said, you can make a lot of ammo on a 550 but overall I like the XL650's (now the XL750) best for multi caliber work. Relative to the 550, the 650/750 have an extra location on the stage, are easy to convert calibers (especially if you tool heads you keep set up with a dedicated powder measure for each), very reliable and can be fitted with a number of mods such as a primer pocket swage that automatically fixed crimped cases. I've also run the RCBS Pro 2000 but not a Hornady LNL. The RCBS ended up being a gateway loader that just sits there today. Amongst the batch and if the budget allows, I'd recommend the new XL750. Don't forget to be ready to invest in a faster way to fill primer tubes - progressive presses eat up a hundred primers pretty quickly! Disclosure - After using Dillon's for several years for personal use, I'm now a Dillon dealer and therefore could be a bit prejudice. And, I'm also a Lyman dealer - I've added a Mark 7 to my 650 . ooooohhhh boy!

I sold my 650 and replaced with 550, I have SDB for high volume pistol. Like others have said, faster changeovers and if something goofs up easier when not auto indexing. I have done a variety of different configurations depending on use. For blasting ammo, tumble, One Shot sprayed while in loading block 50 at a time, all steps on 550 including powder drop with Dillon measure. For more precise needs I resize on single stage (bump shoulder and neck bushing for proper tension) and tumble again to remove lube. Then Lee decap only die in station 1 to punch out any debris in primer pocket. Powder measured by RCBS Chargemaster and use Dillon powder die with funnel to drop while brass still in press, seat with Forester or Redding mircometer seater. Much like suggested by 6.5 Guys. I currently don't use mandrel die, have not experimented enough to know if extra step helps SD/ES.

Forgot to mention I also like that 550 has brass sitting directly on ram instead of on shell plate. Did not do experiments but thought in shellplate adds wobble of shellplate to possibly impact OAL. I use for 223, 308. For 300 RUM I stay single stage as volumes are low.

I have 2 Hornady lnl's with case feeders. They can push out some ammo. But with that comes a lot of moving parts. I put alarm systems on them to prevent running dry on anything and powder lock out dies. The ones that prevent squibs and double feeds and lock the press until fixed. Forester Coax for resizing rifle and precision loading. If I had to do it again it would probably be 550s. Super fast is not always best. If you do opt for the lnl there is a 3D printed case feeder for $150 on line. It took a little massaging but is much better than Hornadys. The lnl bushings make for decent speed in caliber conversions. All my rifle brass is sized, trimmed, tumbled and then goes to one of the presses.

Looking for a progressive to roll through some ammo for the AR's/handguns. I already have a Co-Ax for higher precision work, so looking for something that can increase the throughput, as it's too time consuming to keep with my current process. Having said that, I do have high expectations for the ammo it should be able to produce once the machine has been properly calibrated. The leading candidate for me right now is the XL750 but also looking at the LNL AP. I would probably be limiting my mass production runs to 223 and 9mm, though an argument could be made for 6.5 CM down the road. It would seem to me that the XL750's drawback of caliber swapping would then be more or less neutralized. Any advice from users? Anyone got either one of these (or a XL650) they are looking to offload? Reloading Classifieds say I don't have sufficient privileges to post for some reason so unable to put in a WTB thread there. Thanks in advance all!

I too have had a dillon 550 since '85. For Pistol I just tumble the brass to clean it, I don't bother cleaning primer pockets every time. Maybe after 5 or 6 loading's I'll use the ultrasonic cleaner after de-priming (45ACP 45 LC, 9mm, 38/357) .

on the rifle (.223 and 308) I lube and run through Dillon's Case trimmer, De-prime, Ultrasonic clean, then I put the De-prime only in the first position in the 550 (and now my 1050) just to make sure nothing is left in the primer pockets.

If I really want bright shinny 223 and 308 I'll re-tumble polish the brass after the ultrasonic clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.