.223 on a Progressive?

OP. Look at getting a Dillon 750. They come with a swage tool on them now. Same base as a 650 so if you come across parts for cheap they'll work. The trimmer attachment is super nice for Dillon presses too. I just cranked out 1k yesterday on mine. A used 650 would work too and they do make a swage attachment for them.

Only reason I emphasize the swage tool is I shot up a bunch of PMC ammo and the dang primer pockets were crimped. Threw a wrench into my plans until I got the attachment. Good luck, load safe and have fun!

OP. Look at getting a Dillon 750. They come with a swage tool on them now. Same base as a 650 so if you come across parts for cheap they'll work. The trimmer attachment is super nice for Dillon presses too. I just cranked out 1k yesterday on mine. A used 650 would work too and they do make a swage attachment for them.

Only reason I emphasize the swage tool is I shot up a bunch of PMC ammo and the dang primer pockets were crimped. Threw a wrench into my plans until I got the attachment. Good luck, load safe and have fun!
Swage is almost a necessity on a 5.56 setup.

Dillon. I've been using them since the 80's, and I cannot begin to count the numbers of 222, 223, 308, 30-06, 9mm, 38Sp, 357, 45ACP's and others they have loaded.
Same as del2les. Bought my first press in 1995, I went with the RL550B. This press is still running strong many thousands and thousands of rounds loaded. Dillion will mail out broken replacement parts with a phone call and your word. The only parts I can remember replacing were the primer slide assembly powder bar assembly (wore it out). I had the old style powder bar assembly 9wore it out) and when the big wrap around spring broke Dillon replace the whole powder charge set up and hopper with the newer design. I eventually added a Dillon RL1100 to the line up dedicated to high volume 9mm for training and competitions. Still using my RL550 for the other pistol cartriges and .223.

I think a progressive for 223 is the way to go. I have a Dillon XL750 and can't recommend it it more. I size and load in two separate steps. I have a toolhead that is used solely for sizing brass. I like to spray my brass with the homemade lanolin lube and run it all through the sizing process at once. This method leaves the cases sticky and I don't want to take the change or contaminating my powder. Plus powder can become quite messy when it sticks to the cases. Just never works out well for me so I elect to load in two steps. Once I am done with sizing, I trim, chamfer and deburr if necessary. Then, I tumble the cases until they are dry and very clean. I insert my other toolhead for the loading process. This toolhead has my powder drop, powder cop, seating and crimp dies. This works well for me. You will always spill a little powder here and there when loading progressively, but nothing sticks to the cases.

If you use Hornady One Shot case lube, you can probably do everything in one session. But, the possibility ofg needing to trim cases and address the case mouth is always a possibility.

Good luck, figure out a method that works for you and enjoy.

If you have at least some experience with a single stage press, you can (should!) go with any of the Dillon progressives. If you're going to go progressive you might as well get the very best available! The thing to keep in mind is that the nicer (faster) you go, the longer the learning curve is going to be. My advice is get the best one you can afford and get all the goodies you can afford as well. Just remember the learning curve and don't expect to be cranking out rounds the day after it arrives. You should spend at a minimum of a couple of days reading (or whatever time it takes), watching and learning about what each stage of the press does before you ever put any powder or primers in the machine. Dillon will set the machine up for you in whatever caliber you want.

Just to mention my experience with progressives in general and Dillon in particular, I have loaded over a million rounds using two Dillon 1000 presses (one for small and one for large primers, the most difficult and time comsuming change on the Dillon 1000). This was in a comnercial operation, obviously many years ago, and I loaded a LOT of .223 ammo on them. I still use WW748 a lot, since it meters perfectly. Of course, Dillon's metering system is very, very nice to allow that.

Instead of a powder checker, which they didn't even have back then, I JB Welded a small inspection mirror to the frame so that I could actually look inside the case to check powder levels. A light specifically for that was next to the press.

I also used a cut down size die, turning it into a neck sizer, to "crimp" the bullets in place (between 1/16th and 1/8th inches on the neck), instead using an actual crimp die (usually a seating die), because I didn't trim the cases. Without the trim motor option, you will never get consistent crimps on any ammo using any progressive!

I tumbled the brass in an electric cement mixer using corn cob grit and Brasso. I did not clean primer pockets and never had a problem, although these days I decap then wet tumble all my brass in Boretech's brass cleaner. The brass comes out looking like factory and I like that! But then I'm not cranking out 30+ thousand rounds a month, either!

For powder, I would recommed you stick with ball powders for consistency, although I've done custom loads for people using stick powders. The mirror (or low powder warning system) came in handy although with the Dillon powder measure I never had any problems. The meter would simply cut any powder kernels that didn't fall into place nicely! As to bridging, while possible, I never experienced any problems with that particular problem. If a short cut version of your chosen powder is available, use it!

As to problems, the priming system gave me the most headaches, but then my machines were fairly old and often needed new parts - which Dillon provided free of charge! Their customer service is the absolute best in the industry! If you run into a problem that completely baffles you, a call to Dillon will get you parts or advice on how to fix the situation, usually within minutes!

Yes, Dillon prices are somewhat scary but then, as always, you get what you pay for. They are, without doubt, the absolute best you can get. Once you learn what each stage does, then how they operate in unison, you can start slowly and within a very short time (once you develop the muscle memory) everything will fall into place and you'll go from maybe 100 rounds an hour, to 8 or 9 hundred per hour! Yes, it's possible with an experienced user to hit that magic 1000 per hour but only after a year or more of use. Everything has to be perfect to achieve that goal! Using new brass, I could run 1200 rounds an hour of 9mm but that was well after I had learned all the ins and outs of the D 1000 and I could only maintain that pace for 2 or 3 hours. I will assume the presses are even better now, so the sky is the limit! But it is not an easy task to achieve, especially with the 1000 press, since I had to stop and fill the brass hopper, get more bullets, load more primer tubes and refill the powder measure. None of these things happened at the same time, of course! Plus I had customers coming in the door at odd intervals! I got most of my real work done after I closed up shop for the day and worked... when I should have been at home eating my dinner! Me and Jack in Box and Burger King were good buddies! Still, 8f you know someone who is an experienced progressive user, tgat could help a whole lot!

Reloading is a hobby for me now but I still enjoy it. I load for so many calibers it would take a while to list them all and my breakfast is about ready, so just take my word for it! I started out using a using a set of Lee "basher" dies (the ones where you use a hammer to do everything, including prime!) And after somewhere between 10 and 15 thousand rounds of 38, 357 and M1 Carbine, I finally bought a single stage press. Much later I bought the commercial operation and was introduced to progressives, virtually thrown into the lake, sink or swim! All in all it's been a fun (usually) experience & have loved nearly every minute of it!
Cheers,
crkckr

If you have at least some experience with a single stage press, you can (should!) go with any of the Dillon progressives.

I've been reloading since late 90s, have experience with single stage, Lee and Lyman turret press, and Arbor press. I also have a Lee pro 1000 that I've inherited. I tried some .45 ACP on it, but other than who gave it to me I'm not fond of it.

I have the Dillon 550b. It's been a great press. If I were to buy again I'd go with a 5 station to get the powder check for when I'm loading pistol rounds. They sell a primer buzzer (don't know the actual name) it's worth it too. For 223 I can load about 250-300 rounds an hour if everything is prepped. I have gone faster but it became work instead of enjoying the process. TAC, H335, CFE223, BL-C2, and I think Winchester 748. Have all worked great in my AR and bench rifle out to 500 yards easily.

Also if you get a Dillon get the pull handle the rotates I'm your hand while you pull it. Easier on the hand when loading 500+ a day. Extra primer pickup tubes. Over time a tool head for each caliber. And a major luxury is a powder feeder for each caliber too!! I see these listed from time to time used. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used.

I have 2 Dillion 550s and 2 Hornady progressives, I tend to use pistols cartridges on the Hornady and rifle cartridges on the Dillion.. I have loaded accurate ammunition in a Dillion Progressive for 308 LR shooting out to 1400 yds with Varget and Lapua by the thousands..and many thousands of 223. I size all rifle brass in a single stage, clean and run through the dillion, I do not use the Dillion powder measures for rifle cartridges, but they are great for pistols, and put Dillion powder measure in the Hornady press for pistols, and Hornady powder measures in the Dillion for rifle cartridges.

My only experience is with the Hornady, which didn't work well and I returned, and the Dillon 550B which I used for .45 Long Colt. The only reason I respond is to enforce the idea to get the powder check station. I did have a squib load once, in a SAA. Shaking every round from that batch to ensure it contained powder wasn't fun.

The only reason I respond is to enforce the idea to get the powder check station
I agree, get one.

I started with a Powder Cop then got a DAA electronic: