.223 on a Progressive?

Don't go with the 1050 or anything that complex as your first progressive unless you are just going to leave it setup for one caliber. I wouldn't load rifle ammo on it. It's great for 1000's of rounds of pistol but not so much rifle. I have zero press, 650 and 1050. I don't think the powder checker is critical, but you do need to pay attention. I love my 650 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 750, but honestly all you may need is the 550.

If you load military brass for the 223 a swaging and a trimming station would also be nice.
I try to avoid it, but it sometimes happens. I don't use range pickup brass, because my range is at my house. So when I buy brass or ammo I try to stick with .223 to avoid crimped primers.

My current process for reloading .223 is as follows:
Universal decap die, then run through small base die with expander removed. Trim chamfer and de-burr with 3 way cutter. Prime, and uniform necks with a mandrel die, powder charge, seat bullets, and if loading for my AR rifles run through a crimp die.

I've looked at the Dillon CP2000 as my first as I could prime, charge and seat all on a single stage. However, I was hoping for a less expensive option first. I don't have a normal job or have a work schedule, so when I get a couple hours at the bench I'd like to do as much as possible.

I like to shoot prairie dogs and 1K rounds goes pretty fast. I just can't keep up with my consumption this time of year. Even with batch work it takes a while to load 1K on a single stage.

When you buy a Dillon 550 the C model is the latest version, but I have the original and a B model. Not much difference between the 3 and all work the same. Minor differences between the 3. You get a caliber of your choice conversion, toolhead and press for a good price. Dies are separate, but not sure if it'll be a package deal or not? I load 15 different rifle cartridges and 8 different pistol cartridges, so change out is easy and fast. The case processor is overrated and pricey. Overall the Dillon is the way to go. A part breaks 50 years later and they'll send you a new 1 no questions asked!

Last edited:
The case processor is overrated and pricey.

I agree on its price, but why is it over rated?

I'll shoot around 4K rounds of .223 this month, so if I can pull a handle and process that much brass in 6-8 hours it sounds like a win for me. It would significantly cut down time at the reloading bench. Time I really don't have with my work and to be able to shoot dogs the way I want.

As far as warranty I've had Hornady send me parts for my old Pacific 12ga press no questions asked. Of course that was at least couple decades ago. Never once have I had any manufacturer of reloading equipment every ask a question except "how can I help" and "where do I ship."

Last edited:
I bought a Lee six pick progressive press on sale for $240. Uses quick change bushings so no need for multiple expensive tool heads. It's built heavy and also has reasonably priced shell plates. Still have to finish buying all the accessories but it will still be pretty cheap as far as progressives go. I bought it to load .223 as well.
That being said from the research I've done it takes a lot of tweaking and tuning to get this system running smooth. It doesn't just run perfect out of the box it seems like. But once mods are made they seem to run pretty good and make consistent ammo. If you're willing to do all that you could probably own an inexpensive press that makes a lot ammo within decent tolerances for plinking and dogs. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
I'd much rather be running a Mark 7 Evolution though.

I'd much rather be running a Mark 7 Evolution though.
I've been looking at the Frankford Arsenal X-10 as well. Ultimate Reloader seems to think it'll give Dillon a run for the money. I have options that's for sure.

Nice I didn't even know about the X-10, Il check it out. Lots of options for sure

I've been looking at the Frankford Arsenal X-10 as well. Ultimate Reloader seems to think it'll give Dillon a run for the money. I have options that's for sure.
Nice I didn't even know about the X-10, Il check it out. Lots of options for sure

Made in China, I'm out
IMG_8783.jpeg

Interestingly enough posters haven't said much about the kind of powder used for .223/5.56
The cartridge's small mouth does not like stick powders, they can and will bridge and you get a light load then a overflowing load. If you can find a flake powder that is consistant then a progressive is OK.
I use Dillon 550's for pistols and for rifles, the sizing, priming, seating and crimping but end up measuring each powder load. Am looking at Hodgdon CCF223 or H335 for more consistant measuring.

I run a 1050 Super with toolheads set up for 4 pistol calibers, I was going to set for .223 and .0308 but decided against it.

I load all of my rifle on a circa 1970's RockChukr and glad I stayed that way for the control it gives me.

YMMV,

Buy a used 550 or xl650 w case feeder. The prices are worth it. Usually guys try to get 75-80% of the new cost, but with no tax, you are saving 30% or more over a new one.

They last. I'd have no problem buying a used Dillon.

Dillon Carbide Dies are Tough to find right now. I sold a set of 9mm for $279 on eBy. Insane what people spend on these dies over waiting for them.

Recent Posts